Matt_z

May 30, 2018
GLENDALE, AZ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
My current pump works, but along with many other items I've recently replaced in my house, it's aging so I'd rather replace it before it dies, where I have time to research and buy something ideal. I have two goals in mind - cost effective purchase and energy efficiency. The second should be easy, but combined with the first, it becomes more challenging.

Current stats:
9500 gallon kidney shaped play pool
2.2 HP Century motor/pump
2" pipes, one inlet from skimmer, one inlet from vacuum (AquaNaut 200)
4-cartridge filter

I currently run the pump 4 hours/night year round which has worked well for the past two years keeping the pool looking and functioning nice. My electricity rate is only 5.14c/kWh at night, so it only costs me about $120/year to run this thing. Based on my electricity rates, it seems that there is no ROI on a VS pump considering their cost, so I'm leaning towards a 2-speed 1.5 HP with the plan to normally run it on low speed, and possibly bump up to high after monsoon storms in AZ. Am I going down the right path here? Wrong path? Any recommendations on pumps that will fit my situation?

If you can find a 2 speed motor still available, sounds like it would work with your situation. Single and 2 speed motors are no longer being manufactured for sale in the USA (1 hp and larger) so only current inventory is available.

Suction side cleaner is 1970's tech, but if it works for you, great.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.