Longest lasting least maintenance for raised wall? Tile all the way?

redturboeclipse

Jun 14, 2021
Sacramento, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
I'm going to have 24" raised wall and I have to select finishes for it. We originally wanted stack stone as thats always what we see and looks nice. Upon further reading it looks like scaling/calcium deposits may start to make it look bad?

I would like the least amount of worrying and maintenance and hope to prevent any scaling/calcium build up on there.

The pool will be salt and 2 sheer descents. From my reading here I should avoid any kind of stone for areas with splash and the water trickling from the sheer descents will overtime effect the stone.

So is smooth porcelain tile THE best option for what I'm looking at here? Or glass?

Glass looks really nice and will last if applied properly. You could also look into ceramic tile with a stone look. I don't know if this would be something you would be interested in. Quarzo Red 6 1/4″ x 16″ Pool Tile Series

I think we are leaning towards what you mentioned and going with tile all around. This one is porcelain tile:

We are thinking using it also as the waterline tile so its all uniformed. Would this work well and also retain the importance of lowest maintenance and blending/hiding any scaling/calcium build up yet easier to clean than stone when the time comes?

All those indentations in the NPT Carrara tile will require more maintenance. I would select a large smooth porcelain tile for lowest maintenance. You want the least grout lines with the most smooth tile.

A smooth tile amd epoxy grout is basically minimal upkeep. Remember this is a pool it requires maintenance just like a vehicle does. Nothing is one and done. You can use stone and have little maintenance. I do it all the time but we hand seal each stone before setting it front amd back very thoroughly. If a cut is made it gets sealed then stuck. I'm upfront with my customers. It costs more but as always you get what you pay for. They need sealing again every few years for upkeep. A properly setup salt pool has little scaling issues

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.