Long winded SLAM, difficult opening

byersj

Mar 30, 2012
So I have a picture of my pool below that was taken on June 19. This was 2 weeks after the initial opening.
So some background information, weather here in southern Indiana went from ice and snow in mid-April to torrential rain and flooding in early May
As a result, I didn't get to open my pool in late April/early May like I would prefer.
Work schedule also caused a bit of delay when the weather started to turn springy (lasted less than 2 weeks around here)
So I didn't get the pool opened before my dog decided to jump into the cover and rip it apart.
We were lucky she didn't drown but it did force me to open the cover and begin the opening process Wednesday (after Memorial Day, which was may 30th)

When I removed the cover, I tested the water [CYA ~25, pH ~7.2] which was typical for when I opened, so I began adding liquid shock to get to 20ppm.
Due to the damaged cover, and late opening there were many tadpoles in the pool, they didn't survive the shock very long but took quite a while to remove.
I did notice that the pump/filter was acting abnormal, whenever I turned off the power to the pump motor, I would get a back pressure of water spraying out the skimmer.
I thought this was because it was just due to the skimmer basket being full and the pump sucking air but noticed the basket didn't have to be as full as usual for this to occur
After 1 week had passed, I started suspecting I had filter issues so I removed the multiport valve to check the sand and it looked good from the side that I could check.
The filter is under our deck and difficult to get into without completely removing its plumbing.

The following week (June 18) I was using the leaf rake to just make sure I had all the leaves out I grabbed quite a bit of sand and knew that I had damaged laterals
So I replaced the standpipe assembly and sand and then took the picture that is immediately below.

IMG_0953[1].jpg

It has been a week and a half since turning on the filter/pump after the repair, and the pump is acting normal except for the lack of pressure building.
I would have expected to have to backflush by now but there just hasn't been a reduction in flow from the outlet.
My shock consumption has reduced over the last week or so but its still being consumed faster than if the pool was clear, so I know its still fighting algae.
However, the next picture shows pool in current state and makes me wonder if I have yet another problem or if I just need to continue the SLAM and be patient

IMG_0954[1].jpg

There doesn't appear to be progress, other than leaves deposited from the recent storms.
Several years ago I learned how to maintain my pool "trouble free" but now I am having doubts. I know fighting algae in warmer temperatures is more difficult
But I figured I would consult the experts and see if I am missing something!

I have kept the FC above 15 the entire time, and have almost consumed an entire bottle of R0870 lol
Oh and I almost forgot, yes I brush daily and no, I haven't vacuumed. Reason being, I don't want to vacuum the old sand that is on the bottom and overfill the filter.

Thanks for your assistance!

Steve

I assume you are testing and dosing your FC back to SLAM levels every couple hours. If your CYA is still ~30 ppm, your SLAM FC is 12 ppm.

Vacuuming to waste could be an option if your valve on the sand filter allows that.

Your pump should be on 24/7.

Try those things and see how it goes.

Thank you for the response!

I have indeed maintained above 12ppm FC, maintaining an average closer to 15 to make sure when it dips, it doesn't drop below 12.
I will attempt to vacuum direct to waste, but I have not seen evidence of particles on the pool floor when I brush. Usually I do when there is debris on the bottom
Pump has been on continuously since may 30, except for the time I had the sand filter apart for repair.

I may be in the mode of just continue to wait, but just wanted to see if there was something I had missed since its been almost 2 weeks since I fixed the filter :)

IMG_1031[1].jpg

Its been a while and this thread didn't generate a who lot of interest but a fair bit has happened and perhaps the issue can get more feedback.
The photograph shows the status as of Thursday of last week (July 12). The biggest difference was the addition of Aluminum Sulfate to precipitate the dissolved solids.
Unfortunately after so much time and cost to get the pool to clear up, I went to a pool store to try to figure out what was I was fighting. They indicated I had a little bit of phosphates.
Well it worked to get to a point, but the pool still doesn't want to go past being "cloudy". I have continued to slam the pool, and removed all of the sand and have vacuumed to waste a few times.

My test levels didn't match the pool stores; then I realized my reagents were old so I have ordered replacements.
I still haven't gotten pressure on the gage to exceed 15 PSI, which is plain puzzling. So I have to ask this question:
How do I know water is passing through the sand? Is there any possibility that there is a way to check without tearing into the filter?
When the multiport valve was off of the filter I verified it was functioning. I also notice a pressure change when I go from filter to waste (pressure goes up in waste)

I also vacuumed out everything on the bottom. Anyhow I hope this thread provides some value to someone out there other than me :)

If you have used Alum and phosphate remover it is time to clean your filter. Those (plus potions from the past ) have most likely gummed up your filter.

Read Deep Cleaning a Sand Filter

Your pool should have cleared long ago if you have kept it at SLAM. But as you said, you have older reagents that may have kept you from following the process sufficiently.

Hope things clear up soon.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.