Long Time TFP User; "I'm converting to SWG, now what?"

fatboy1271

LifeTime Supporter
After finding TFP I was able to successfully take over pool maintenance duties. We are now currently halfway through having the pool redone with Fiberglass, new Waterline Tiles, Coping, and redoing the "deck" with Pavers! Also in the process, we are converting to Saltwater :).

Is there much difference to how I used to take care of the pool versus when it is refilled and running the SWG? I found the Salt Water Chlorine Generators Pool School page. Is there much more to know to get me off on the right foot?

Thanks,
Patrick

Re: Long Time TFP User; "I'm converting to SWG, now what?"

You will want to keep your CYA at a higher level than before. You should get the salt test from TFTestkits.net It can take a little trial and error to get the % set for the level of FC you want. This is a dance between the run time of the pump and the % setting on the SWG. But once you get it set, you only have to make changes seasonally.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, make sure that your SWG is rated for at least 2x your pool gallons. This allows you to run it at a lower % and still get the same FC. SWG are only good for so many hours of ON time. So the less you have it on the longer it lasts.

You will want to keep your CYA at a higher level than before. You should get the salt test from TFTestkits.net It can take a little trial and error to get the % set for the level of FC you want. This is a dance between the run time of the pump and the % setting on the SWG. But once you get it set, you only have to make changes seasonally.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, make sure that your SWG is rated for at least 2x your pool gallons. This allows you to run it at a lower % and still get the same FC. SWG are only good for so many hours of ON time. So the less you have it on the longer it lasts.

Thanks Bob and Woody!!! I'll check out those links.

Just to follow up, I am also adding a SWG and have a 2 speed pump. I was only going to run the SWG with the pump on high and run low the rest of the time. Should I set the SWG to 100% and only run the high speed as much as I need to?

Not it trying to hijack thread, just thought this question may help both of us.

Just to follow up, I am also adding a SWG and have a 2 speed pump. I was only going to run the SWG with the pump on high and run low the rest of the time. Should I set the SWG to 100% and only run the high speed as much as I need to?

Not it trying to hijack thread, just thought this question may help both of us.

A,

You are 180 degrees out of phase... :p You really want to run your pump on low for producing chlorine (most of the time)... A SWCG's output does not change with the pump on high or low...

The whole point of having a two-speed pump is saving money, so low is the way to go...

The amount of chlorine produced by the SWCG is a combination of the % of cell output and pump run time. I am not a fan of the 100% setting, but it does not really matter as far as the SWCG goes. 100% for an hour is the same as 10% for 10 hours.

For me... I like a little chlorine spread over many hours vs. a whole lot of chlorine at once.

But, no two pools are the same, so it is something for you to play with and see what works best for you.

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Ok, just to where I fully understand, the SWG is either producing or not, it is a digital system. The analog portion of percentage control is only how often it is producing relative to pump run time. Is that correct? So as long as my low speed satisfies the flow switch, I should run my SWG on that relay and only use the high speed a couple hours a day if skimmers aren't getting good action on low?

Mods - sorry, I will not ask another question in this thread as now I am border line hijacking. Sorry Fatboy

Ok, just to where I fully understand, the SWG is either producing or not, it is a digital system. The analog portion of percentage control is only how often it is producing relative to pump run time. Is that correct? So as long as my low speed satisfies the flow switch, I should run my SWG on that relay and only use the high speed a couple hours a day if skimmers aren't getting good action on low?

Mods - sorry, I will not ask another question in this thread as now I am border line hijacking. Sorry Fatboy

Yes.. Perfect!!!

Jim R.

Don't apologize Analogbytes!!! I wouldn't have known to ask these very relevant questions :) No hi-jacking here, just adding to the learning process.

fat

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The one thing to note would be the adjusted numbers and having to keep salt in the water. Otherwise it is the same kind of care once you get the % dialed in (it will be different when it is colder, so you might have to adjust occasionally). The one place you will find a bigger difference is with fiberglass if you had plaster before.

Remember, that when you SLAM, still use chlorine or bleach, not the SWG.

Fatboy,

With a 17K pool you need either the IC40 or IC60. Do NOT get the IC20 or IC15...

We recommend that your SWCG be at least 2 x the volume of your pool.

My pool is 17K and I have the IC40 and it works fine, but when it needs to be replaced I'll be putting in an IC60.

This just means you can run with a lower output percentage and in theory your cell will last longer.

Thanks,

Jim R.

I have 18K gals and the IC40 and it keeps up pretty well. The trick really is to not be afraid to push that CYA up quite high, so that the SWG can keep up in the sunniest hot days.

As for the other comments: I run my VS pump at the lowest speed that is needed to keep the SWG running. I forget what the RPMs are but maybe around 1800 or so. I also run the SWG at 80-100% all the time, and adjust the chlorine by backing off on the pump run time. My theory is that I will use the same amount of power on the SWG to create the chlorine that I need, but I can save power by running the pool pump for less time. Or put another way, running the pump, when the SWG isn't generating isn't really doing me much good.

Fatboy,

With a 17K pool you need either the IC40 or IC60. Do NOT get the IC20 or IC15...

We recommend that your SWCG be at least 2 x the volume of your pool.

My pool is 17K and I have the IC40 and it works fine, but when it needs to be replaced I'll be putting in an IC60.

This just means you can run with a lower output percentage and in theory your cell will last longer.

Thanks,

Jim R.

I have 18K gals and the IC40 and it keeps up pretty well. The trick really is to not be afraid to push that CYA up quite high, so that the SWG can keep up in the sunniest hot days.

As for the other comments: I run my VS pump at the lowest speed that is needed to keep the SWG running. I forget what the RPMs are but maybe around 1800 or so. I also run the SWG at 80-100% all the time, and adjust the chlorine by backing off on the pump run time. My theory is that I will use the same amount of power on the SWG to create the chlorine that I need, but I can save power by running the pool pump for less time. Or put another way, running the pump, when the SWG isn't generating isn't really doing me much good.

Thanks Jim and gatorbrit!!! I have requested what the exact Model is and that I want the IC40 or better yet the IC60 :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.