Long-time swimmer, new pool owner in Los Angeles!

ScoopEE

Gold Supporter
Jun 27, 2022
Los Angeles
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
Hi all - I'm Eric and about to (finally) have a new pool. We recently purchased a home that had a pool, which needed plumbing work, new equipment, etc., and thankfully in the home stretch (fingers crossed!) where we'll re-plaster and begin filling the pool this week! We opted to convert to a saltwater pool as well, so already have my eye on the TF kits as I do my pool school homework.

This site has been great at informing me about what to expect along the way and figured I'd register as questions inevitable pop up. My dad told me pools are a pain in the butt, but I'm hoping I can learn how to minimize any issues with help from this community.

My dad told me pools are a pain in the butt, but I'm hoping I can learn how to minimize any issues with help from this community.
Many of us end up here seeking help for things we've messed up. You have the unique advantage of starting off following the TFP method.

Two few tips:
  • Find a way to top off the pool with softened water to avoid having to drain the pool due to high calcium levels.
  • Take photos of the the home's water meter before and after filling to get a good estimate on pool volume.
  • And ,of course, get a recommended test kit before water hits the pool. The best values can be found at tftestkits.net.

Best wishes!

Many of us end up here seeking help for things we've messed up. You have the unique advantage of starting off following the TFP method.

Two few tips:
  • Find a way to top off the pool with softened water to avoid having to drain the pool due to high calcium levels.
  • Take photos of the the home's water meter before and after filling to get a good estimate on pool volume.
  • And ,of course, get a recommended test kit before water hits the pool. The best values can be found at tftestkits.net.

Best wishes!

Thanks, Mike - just as a quick question on the kits. As I'll have a saltwater pool, I need at least the TF-100 kit for the ph levels, as well as the Salt Test kit (after the 30 days when we start to use it), is that correct?

I sometimes have trouble with color shades, but can recruit some eyes to help. :) Just so I know, are there other ways to reliably measure the chemicals?

Thanks, Mike - just as a quick question on the kits. As I'll have a saltwater pool, I need at least the TF-100 kit for the ph levels, as well as the Salt Test kit (after the 30 days when we start to use it), is that correct?
That's one way to go, but yes, you do need the drop-based salt test (Taylor reagents). I HIGHLY recommend the Smart Stir as well. It makes testing much easier and more consistent. It basically stirs the sample with a magnetic pill for you. I purchased my kit in pieces and use a tackle box to store everything. Now, the TF-Pro Salt w/Smart Stir is now available. The case is much nicer and includes the salt test kit and the Smart Stir. Seems like a high price to pay, but you'll have all the best stuff and it IS money well-spent.

TF test kits uses Taylor reagents which have proven to reliable and repeatable. Taylor makes it's own test kits that we also recommend, the K-2006 and the K-2006C. The 2006 has smaller reagent sizes for the tests we use most and the 2006C is geared more for the pool professional caring for several pools. TF test kits are the best value for the residential pool owner.

I've seen several recommendations here for the Apera 60 pH meter. This is one test [the Taylor reagent test] that is dependent on proper color interpretation. Other tests are either color change or change to clear which you should be able to see. Don't bother with the cheap meters. This one is about $80 on Amazon.

Last edited:
Reactions: ScoopEE and mknauss