Long-term pool close?

limdoan

Mar 8, 2017
La Mesa, CA
Is there such thing?
We're thinking of "retiring" our pool. We don't want to get rid of it, but we also don't want to keep maintaining it as it costs money and because no one is using it any longer (sad).
How would we do such thing?

I have no experience in closing pools for the winter in areas that get freezing temps. So what I am positing is just something I can come up with.

Although, San Diego has a mild “beautiful” year round weather, emptying/draining your pool, blowing out and capping all plumbing lines, electrically disconnecting all equipment would “close” your pool. Long term, the plaster would dry out and when you or someone else wanted to “open” the pool, you’d probably need a replaster beside connecting everything back up.

There also would be an unsafe large hole in your backyard. You would probably need to spend money to create a hard weight bearing cover to safely cover that hole. Just something I thought of.

Reactions: proavia
I've seen pics of a deck built over a pool. This would increase your outdoor living space as well.

Leaving a pool empty and uncovered poses a large safety risk.

Chances are if the pool is left empty for an extended period, the plaster would need to be replaced when/if the pool is reopened.

Sell the house and buy one without a pool …
This is the best advice. Closed and empty pools are a nightmare waiting to happen. They deteriorate, stuff dies and falls in, etc.

There was also a news article recently where insurance companies were canceling home owners policies because of an empty pool in the yard.

Not sure what you consider long term. If you are not in an area where freezing is an issue. I would think a solid safety cover would be best for keeping stuff out of the pool. Leave the pump connected and let it run a occasionally and keep the chlorine level to limit stuff from growing. Should be minimal maintenance. I would guess you could go a few years like this. Emptying the pool, likely would end up being more expensive to get it back in to working order. If your in a freezing area, typical winterizing, but in the warmer months it will need some attention or it will turn into a swamp. Otherwise it's move or get rid of the pool. Even a closed pool needs some attention.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.