AndyWallace

May 2, 2023
Iowa
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Does the Pool Math app’s recommendations “reset” with each additionally logged test result and corresponding additions?

What I mean is: I logged TF-Pro results on 5/9 and tested for everything - FC/CC/pH/TA/CH & CYA. That reading recommended 3.7oz of dichlor and 30 oz Borax which I added both.

Today I only tested for FC/CC/pH (to see what impact my addition of dichlor and Borax had) and got the following results:
FC - 0.5
CC - 1.0
pH - 7.2

The recommended dichlor addition per the app was 6.4 which happened to be double the recommendation from my 5/9 test. The pH also recommended again 30 more oz of Borax. I did tell the app that I had added the recommended 3.7 and 30 oz from the 5/9 read, so is the app not taking into consideration what I’ve already added? And the recommended additions will just continue to add up every time I test?

Hope this makes sense!

so is the app not taking into consideration what I’ve already added?
No. It will only make recommendations based on test results, not additions.

For example. I test FC at 5FC. I decide to add liquid chlorine to raise to 7, and log the addition. If I go to FC again, my last test was 5, it will still make a recommendation to raise to 7.

You need to test again and enter the test result for it to make a recommendation for the additions to reach recommendation.

Make sense?

Reactions: Mdragger88
The app calculates additions based on the latest test result. So if you tested FC earlier then added dichlor then tested again a day later, the app will use the lastest result. Now you can change the target level that you need.
According to your PM logs, 2 days ago FC was 2.0, so you added some amount of dichlor. But today your FC was 0.5 so to get back to your same target level it would need more dichlor.

Since you did not test for TA, for example), Pool Math would use your test result from 2 days ago, to adjust to a target level, even if you added a chemical to adjust TA. It does not calculate your new TA level, it only uses the test results to calculate additions for adjustment.

Your TA will gradually come down as your pH rises and you need to add Muriatic acid to lower the pH and gradually lower TA.
If you use exclusively dichlor for your chlorine, it will also raise CYA, so I would recommend testing CYA monthly to monitor the CYA rise so you can keep the chlorine in relation to the CYA chart -
FC/CYA Levels

The app calculates additions based on the latest test result. So if you tested FC earlier then added dichlor then tested again a day later, the app will use the lastest result. Now you can change the target level that you need.
According to your PM logs, 2 days ago FC was 2.0, so you added some amount of dichlor. But today your FC was 0.5 so to get back to your same target level it would need more dichlor.

Since you did not test for TA, for example), Pool Math would use your test result from 2 days ago, to adjust to a target level, even if you added a chemical to adjust TA. It does not calculate your new TA level, it only uses the test results to calculate additions for adjustment.

Your TA will gradually come down as your pH rises and you need to add Muriatic acid to lower the pH and gradually lower TA.
If you use exclusively dichlor for your chlorine, it will also raise CYA, so I would recommend testing CYA monthly to monitor the CYA rise so you can keep the chlorine in relation to the CYA chart -
FC/CYA Levels
Ok thanks. I think I was just getting tripped up because it was still recommending 30 oz of Borax to raise pH (which was the same recommendation from my 5/9 test.

I added the Borax around 3pm yesterday then tested around 8pm. Does it just take a while for that to mix in and impact the pH test? I mixed it in a bucket and dumped it near a return with the pump running.

I was using dichlor simply to try and get FC levels up but intend to use trichlor tabs.

No. It will only make recommendations based on test results, not additions.

For example. I test FC at 5FC. I decide to add liquid chlorine to raise to 7, and log the addition. If I go to FC again, my last test was 5, it will still make a recommendation to raise to 7.

You need to test again and enter the test result for it to make a recommendation for the additions to reach recommendation.

Make sense?
I think so… I just need to keep testing and get used to it! Thanks!

I was using dichlor simply to try and get FC levels up but intend to use trichlor tabs
Dichlor & trichlor tabs add not only fc but also cya - the fc gets consumed daily but the cya remains until you exchange water.
They are also both acidic & lower ph which is why you’re on the ph merry go round with the borax.
Liquid chlorine doesn’t have these effects which is why it is recommended for daily chlorination.
You already have 30ppm cya - going above 60ppm is not recommended as it starts to become hard to manage.
As your cya increases so must your fc level or nasties will grow.
FC/CYA Levels
Here’s what each dissolved 3” Trichlor puck will do to your water
👇
IMG_6262.png
& every 8oz of dichlor
👇
IMG_6263.png

I added the Borax around 3pm yesterday then tested around 8pm. Does it just take a while for that to mix in and impact the pH test? I mixed it in a bucket and dumped it near a return with the pump running.
I never add anything to raise pH. It will increase over time unless you continue to use pucks which have acid in them.
Another good read is

Dichlor & trichlor tabs add not only fc but also cya - the fc gets consumed daily but the cya remains until you exchange water.
They are also both acidic & lower ph which is why you’re on the ph merry go round with the borax.
Liquid chlorine doesn’t have these effects which is why it is recommended for daily chlorination.
You already have 30ppm cya - going above 60ppm is not recommended as it starts to become hard to manage.
As your cya increases so must your fc level or nasties will grow.
FC/CYA Levels
Here’s what each dissolved 3” Trichlor puck will do to your water
👇
View attachment 490951
& every 8oz of dichlor
👇
View attachment 490952
I unfortunately learned about the effects trichlor & dichlor have on my CYA AFTER spending some $500 on a chlorine bundle back in March. ☹️ Feeling more and more like I’m just gonna eat my losses and switch to liquid chlorine.

Reactions: HermanTX
I unfortunately learned about the effects trichlor & dichlor have on my CYA AFTER spending some $500 on a chlorine bundle back in March. ☹️ Feeling more and more like I’m just gonna eat my losses and switch to liquid chlorine.
Save some tabs for vacation- sell the rest on Facebook marketplace.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support