Location for SWG?

Bpropheter

Jun 19, 2020
Chandler, AZ
I have been using the TFP method for the last year and love it. But now am thinking of installing a SWG.

Based on my research I'm leaning toward the Circupool RJ30 Plus. I have installed my own sprinkler system so think I can handle the install.

But looking for advice on where it should go... There's not a large free area so either need to install vertically or move the T for the aerator. Appreciate advice from others.

PXL_20210307_213951162.jpg

Thanks!

Either solution you mention is fine. Be sure the manual of the SWG you purchase says it's OK to install vertically, if that's how you choose to do it.

Some SWGs require a good length of straight pipe on the inlet side, to reduce turbulence on the interior flow sensor. I think others use a flow sensor mounted in a separate component.

So you might want to decide on the model first, since installation is slightly different from brand to brand. The Circupool is well regarded here at TFP.

You'll also need to devise a way to ensure the SWG is not powered up when the pump is not running. The flow sensor is the primary safety for this issue, but shouldn't be the only one, as they can fail. You need to power down the SWG when the pump is not pumping. My automation does that for me. Others here use timers for that purpose. It's pretty important, because an SWG left to produce chlorine gas when the water isn't moving can cause an explosion.

Last edited:
A couple things you'll see in the installation manual:
- .....to ensure there is enough pipe space available; the Cell with unions is 15 ¾” in length, and the Flow Switch is 4” in length.
- IMPORTANT: When positioning the Flow Switch, there must be at least 6 to 12” (30cm) of straight pipe before the Flow Switch. If installed after the Electrolytic Cell, the Cell can be counted as straight pipe.

You might need to move that small line going down.

Here's my RJ-40+

Hmm, I would plumb the aerator before the SWG, so that it's not spraying super-chlorinated water into the air and possibly get wind-driven all of the place. Let's see what the other guys say.

You'll also need to devise a way to ensure the SWG is not powered up when the pump is not running. The flow sensor is the primary safety for this issue, but shouldn't be the only one, as they can fail. You need to power down the SWG when the pump is not pumping. My automation does that for me. Others here use timers for that purpose.
Can you explain this more? Or point me to some resources? I'm not sure how Id do that. There is a timer by the pump but I don't think it's doing anything currently. Would I sync that timer with my pool pump run times?

Hmm, I would plumb the aerator before the SWG, so that it's not spraying super-chlorinated water into the air and possibly get wind-driven all of the place. Let's see what the other guys say.
The water really only gets a tiny bit of chlorine added continuously.

For example, if the flow is 15 gpm and the cell produces 1.5 lb chlorine gas per day, the FC rise from inlet to outlet is 8.3 ppm.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The water really only gets a tiny bit of chlorine added continuously.

For example, if the flow is 15 gpm and the cell produces 1.5 lb chlorine gas per day, the FC rise from inlet to outlet is 8.3 ppm.
OK, so "super-chlorinated" was a bit of an exageration. Still, I would plumb the aerator line before the SWG so that there are no issues with the SWG output going to the aerator line. There are calcium flakes to contend with sometimes. Maybe those shouldn't go to what the OP has making the spray.

Can you explain this more? Or point me to some resources? I'm not sure how Id do that. There is a timer by the pump but I don't think it's doing anything currently. Would I sync that timer with my pool pump run times?
Yes, that can work, assuming the timer is in OK condition. That timer was probably running the previous pump, before it was replaced with your current one that has its own onboard timer.

Typically, you don't need much pump runtime. Even just a few hours can mix up your chemical additions well enough and filter the water clear enough. But once you install the SWG, that will govern pump runtime, because they need a good many hours a day to make enough chlorine. 6-12 is not unusual, sometimes more. So you set the pump's RPMs to provide just enough flow for the SWG (there will be a minimum required), and then you adjust the SWGs output (how much chlorine it makes per hour) and the pump's runtime to make enough chlorine. With such a simple set up, you would most likely set the SWG at or near 100% output, and then just adjust the pump's hours to give you the chlorine you need. Others here run their pump 24/7, and lower the SWG output way down, so that their pool receives chlorine 24/7. No right or wrong about that, just personal preference. I digress.

Regardless of the pump's runtime, the SWG must function only within the pump's schedule. Without automation, you need to run the SWG from a reliable timer (like maybe the one you have). You just set the SWG to come on a little after the pump starts, and go off a little before the pump run is over. I say "little" for three reasons. (1) You want the water to be flowing well before the SWG starts producing. Sometimes the pump needs to prime. (2) You want the pump to run a for a few minutes after the SWG is done. This isn't critical, but might as well flush out all that chlorine goodness to the pool before shutting down the pump. And (3), most importantly, you want to give the timer some wiggle room, especially if it's one of those Intermatic timers that use the little mechanical set-screw tabs to set on and off times. Those timers are fairly reliable, but not terribly accurate, so you want to make sure you leave yourself a margin of error in case the mechanical timer for the SWG gets out of sync with the much more accurate timer inside the pump.

You'll need to schedule periodic checks of the SWG timer, to make sure it is running, and running on time, and running as scheduled. And if it is the type that loses time when the power goes out, then you'll need to monitor that, too. Remember, the timer is part of a two-pronged safety system. You can see, neither (the flow sensor nor the timer) are particularly fail-proof, which is why you need both, in case either fails, the other will do its job.

It just does to one of those little spray aerators. Almost never use it.
Is it a mister? Well that is interesting. I don't think I have ever seen a mister tied into a pool plumbing before.

... There is a timer by the pump but I don't think it's doing anything currently. Would I sync that timer with my pool pump run times?
Its pretty common to repurpose the old pump timer for a SWG after a VSP was installed. They work perfectly. Just make sure the runtime is set within the runtime of the pump... if you run the pumps 24/7 then anytime is a good time.

Ok I'm still stuck on the Mister being feed by the pool pump... I guess its only right these guys were from Arid-zona

I'm gonna guess the aerator is actually a cooler. I think that's done a lot in AZ. When the pool gets too hot, you spray the pool's own water through the air which works to lower the water temp. That'll cost you some water (from evaporation), and some acid (to restore the pH aerating will affect), but the alternative is not enjoying your pool temp.

It's one of these guys. Pretty common in AZ. Is that not a thing elsewhere?

And I've heard it's for cooling but it never makes sense. By the time the pool is too warm, the nighttime air doesn't get much lower than the pool temp really.

I really only use it to raise ph after lowering TA and ph.
Aerator_In_Pool_Small_dc60613c-88d2-4dab-9656-517c57dcbf23_1024x1024.jpg

As for the timer, I checked it out today and it appears to be missing the part that lets me set on/off...

It's one of these guys. Pretty common in AZ. Is that not a thing elsewhere?

And I've heard it's for cooling but it never makes sense. By the time the pool is too warm, the nighttime air doesn't get much lower than the pool temp really.

I really only use it to raise ph after lowering TA and ph.
As for the timer, I checked it out today and it appears to be missing the part that lets me set on/off...
Well it uses evaporation as a cooling process. It really does work. No I don't need one. My pool is in the shade all summer. I'm lucky if it breaks 78deg! The little stops? I think they are called dogs or trippers. I have seen them sold at pool stores in the past. Lets see what Amazon sez:

Yah, that's a cooler. I don't know it, but there's some science involved that makes them work, it's not just about the spray flying through nighttime air. I believe they'll work even when the air temp is higher than the water temp.

Before you order the trippers, make sure the timer keeps time. Does it have power? Or was it disconnected?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.