Live about an hour south of Nashville - should we close the pool or just scoop leaves for the Fall?

Jg7xrad

Silver Supporter
Jun 3, 2022
Tennessee
who likes the work of closing a pool? This will be the first year to close on our own as we are new owners. We learned the process last year from the old owners. BUT - I would like to try this without closing this year. What prep do we need and what should we watch out for? How often to run the pumps duirng the day? Should I insulate the above ground PVC pipes returning tothe pump/filter etc? Any advice on extra gadgets that are temperature controlled that run the pump etc? Also can you run your robot in water below 60 degrees? If the surface water freezes will this hurt the skimmers in any way?

Thanks for helping out a newbie!

What prep do we need and what should we watch out for?
If you leave a the pool open & operational, you're basically watching for major freeze warnings that could effect a power outage. As long as water is moving you should be fine. Wrap the pipes? - sure. You can do that too. But have a Plan B just incase you experience power outages that might allow above-ground items to freeze. Chemically, you'll add liquid chlorine occasionally. Overall it's fairly easy.

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

Reactions: Jg7xrad
What prep do we need and what should we watch out for?
You might also find this video helpful.

If you leave a the pool open & operational, you're basically watching for major freeze warnings that could effect a power outage. As long as water is moving you should be fine. Wrap the pipes? - sure. You can do that too. But have a Plan B just incase you experience power outages that might allow above-ground items to freeze. Chemically, you'll add liquid chlorine occasionally. Overall it's fairly easy.

Welcome to TFP! :wave:
sounds great - thanks for the help and very informative video link. How much do you run your pump when water goes below 60 deg?. My equipment is surrounded by 3 cement walls about chest high with no roof. The 4th wall and gate are wood lattice. I figure wrapping pipes, blocking the lattice portion with boards as well as putting a board as a roof over the equipment will help quite a bit to protect from lower temps. If temps dip into the single digits for a couple of days/nights would you add a heat lamp and keep the pump running? We have generator for backup but never had to use it.

How much do you run your pump when water goes below 60 deg?
Between 32 and 60 degrees you can run your pump just about as long (or short) as you wish depending on what you want to skim the water's surface. My pump in on 24/7 only because I'm out in the country with lots of junk blowing in the air. Once the water is cold, many people's pump run times go down significantly. When we have those freeze warnings and I might worry about a power outage, I'll throw a tarp over the exposed equipment. Some people might even place a light under the covering to take the cold "sting" off the equipment.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.