Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
Ok … who loves their moka pot -

IMG_2327.jpeg

I certainly realize that a nerd-filled pool forum will likely have a high percentage of coffee brewing snobs so let’s not start any Coffee Wars here! I’m just looking for some fellow travelers who love a good stove top espresso and are willing to share tips. I’ve had some successes, and a few epic failures, with my beloved moka pot. I have a small 2-cup (120mL) Brikka model from Bialetti … reminds me of my grandpa’s stove top when I was little paisano running around the house … anyone willing to share some stories …

Reactions: Newdude
I guess one should add the air-quotes … it’s “espresso” … kind of like how a Keurig makes “coffee” …

Yes, yes, the moka pot is a poor man’s espresso maker but, without taking up valuable counter space by having a giant espresso machine or wasting lots of money on a cheap plastic machine that will last all of one year, the moka pot is an acceptable middle ground.

And hey, if it was good enough for my Pa-pop and his mafia goons, it’s good enough for me …

(Note to Wit-Sec agents reading my posts - my prosecution deferral agreement allows me to make generic references to “mafia goons” so just chill out ….)

The pot is called the Moka Express.

The Man with the moustache, initially appearing in cartoon version, was made famous by TV show Carosello.

Becoming iconic thanks also to the advertising slogan “Sembra facile” (“It seems easy”), he is always portrayed with a raised finger as if ordering an espresso.

1706928270330.png

Reactions: JoyfulNoise
I am sure you know that the best coffee starts with a freshly ground and roasted beans. Do you have a local coffee roaster where you can get fresh roasted coffee beans every week?

Yes and yes. Long ago I attempted to roast my on green coffee beans and it was just too much hassle. I’m ok with coffee from a bag. Occasionally, when I want to be fancy, I’ll grab a bag from the coffee shop down the road (and few pastries as well). But I’m good with supermarket coffee ….

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I tried Lavassa ground coffee (med roast) this morning. Came out decent enough for my morning shot …

IMG_2338.jpeg
IMG_2339.jpeg

I’ll have to see if I can find some Illy brand coffee. They make a grind specifically for moka pots.

I was introduced to the moka pot a handful of years back after watching the new "One Day At A Time" that Netflix did. I was intrigued by the method that Rita Moreno's character was using to make coffee. Had never had a cafe Cubano, so I bought the moka pot and the cafe Bustelo espresso ground coffee and made it. Freaking delicious. I'm not much for sweetener in my coffee, but with the espresso, it takes the bite out of it. I haven't made one in a while. I think I may do that tomorrow morning.

--Jeff

I was introduced to the moka pot a handful of years back after watching the new "One Day At A Time" that Netflix did. I was intrigued by the method that Rita Moreno's character was using to make coffee. Had never had a cafe Cubano, so I bought the moka pot and the cafe Bustelo espresso ground coffee and made it. Freaking delicious. I'm not much for sweetener in my coffee, but with the espresso, it takes the bite out of it. I haven't made one in a while. I think I may do that tomorrow morning.

--Jeff

A lot of people recommend using Bustelo but it is an espresso grind coffee so it’s a bit fine for a moka pot. You’re supposed to use more of a med-fine grind so that the coffee doesn’t get over-extracted which will result in greater bitterness. It’s best to use low heat and get a slow dribble out of the pot; if you’re producing a hissing steam then you’ll extract too much bitterness out of the grinds. Flash boiling can cause a lot of steam build up and overheat the coffee in the collector which can scorch the coffee and make it taste weird. I use my gas stove on the smallest burner at med flame. That produces a good stream of liquid with a little bit of gurgling to make some crema foam on top.

And yes, Cubano coffee is very sweet but the shot of sugar and caffeine is really nice in the morning at waking one up 🫨

A lot of people recommend using Bustelo but it is an espresso grind coffee so it’s a bit fine for a moka pot. You’re supposed to use more of a med-fine grind so that the coffee doesn’t get over-extracted which will result in greater bitterness. It’s best to use low heat and get a slow dribble out of the pot; if you’re producing a hissing steam then you’ll extract too much bitterness out of the grinds. Flash boiling can cause a lot of steam build up and overheat the coffee in the collector which can scorch the coffee and make it taste weird. I use my gas stove on the smallest burner at med flame. That produces a good stream of liquid with a little bit of gurgling to make some crema foam on top.

And yes, Cubano coffee is very sweet but the shot of sugar and caffeine is really nice in the morning at waking one up 🫨
Thanks for the tips, Matt. I am going to have to play around with the heat, after reading this. I have always just turned it on high and let 'er rip! It does not produce hissing steam though. I do have a gas range so can control the heat very well.

--Jeff

Thanks for the tips, Matt. I am going to have to play around with the heat, after reading this. I have always just turned it on high and let 'er rip! It does not produce hissing steam though. I do have a gas range so can control the heat very well.

--Jeff

My method is this … admittedly a little complicated for two shots of espresso -

1. I use preheated water in the base - about 4 fl oz (~ 120mL) that I get from a Keurig machine.

2. I fill the funnel with coffee grinds just short of the edge by maybe 1mm or so and i DO NOT pack it down. I just use the edge of a plastic knife to level off the coffee. Unlike a true espresso machine, moka pots use loose grinds not packed grinds.

3. As mentioned in the last post - medium-fine grind.

4. I put the pot on the smallest burner using medium heat. Takes a few minutes to start to extract.

5. Once the extraction starts, I adjust flame down to make sure there isn’t a huge flash of steam. A little gurgling/steam/sputtering is to be expected. I watch the pot carefully at this point and when all of the water is drawn out into the top, I pull it off the heat and let it sit for a minute or so.

You basically want to avoid a flash boiling and you don’t want the entire pot to get super hot. The problem with high heat and the aluminum metal is that the heat transfer is fast and while heating water you can also inadvertently heat up the grinds as well and burn them. Then, when the extraction starts, you’ll be pushing water through burnt coffee. That will make it very bitter. High heat can also damage the silicone o-ring and shorten its life. If the water basin gets too hot, the steam head will create a heat link between the bottom of the pot and the top which can cause the coffee in the top pitcher to start to boil. You want to avoid boiling coffee or else that destroys the flavor too. For all these issues, low and slow is the best approach.

FYI - if you can find it, this is a great brand of coffee specifically ground for moka pots -

IMG_2344.jpeg

It’s pretty pricey but easy to have on hand. If you grind your own beans or buy a coffee you like in the store, most burr grinders will have a setting for moka pots. It’s roughly half way between espresso (fine) ground and med grind.

My former neighbor's parents used to make coffee like that after dinner and put a shot of Anisette in it. I make it myself (or order it if I'm out) to this day after a nice dinner. It's a wonderful finish to a wonderful meal! Cheers!

Reactions: JoyfulNoise
My former neighbor's parents used to make coffee like that after dinner and put a shot of Anisette in it. I make it myself (or order it if I'm out) to this day after a nice dinner. It's a wonderful finish to a wonderful meal! Cheers!

My grandparents always had a bottle of anisette in the cupboard for the after-dinner digestif … they loved grappa too.

Reactions: InyoRich

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.