Liquid stabilizer

Bvacchiano

Silver Supporter
Apr 6, 2018
Sugar Land, Texas
Does anybody find that the liquid stabilizer doesn’t do as good a job at raising the CYA as the solid stuff? I ask because I have always used the liquid stuff from Natural Chemistry and I swear it doesn’t raise the CYA with the recommended amount according to them and pool math. I’ve duplicated this many times. Anybody notice this?

The times I've used it (2) I notice you really, REALLY have to shake it up to get the thick viscous sludge off the bottom of the jug and in to the water. Also add water to help get it all out.

It raised my pool's CYA exactly as expected.

Maddie :flower:

When I used it the first (AND LAST) time, I noticed two things:

- that even though my pool should have read CYA30 (based on the volume which I know to be very accurate, and the jug's instructions), it didn't. Because 30 is as low as I could test, I never knew how much CYA I actually had until I had to raise it to 70 for my SWG. Not exactly evidence that it doesn't dose as much as the dry variety, but a hint of that. I suspect user testing error over the product not doing what it claimed, but who knows. More importantly:

- that using the dern stuff, even as Maddie described, cost me a permanent stain on my brand new pebble finish! :mad:

I dispensed it all into the pool, after diluting it in a bucket first, but then added water to the jug to swish out the last little bit. Big mistake! It wasn't a little bit!! A huge blob slopped out and went straight to the bottom. By the time I could run for my brush and back... too late. Burned a light spot.

So I'll never use it again, for both reasons. Dry into sock into skimmer is it for me. I'll never let dry or liquid get anywhere near the pebble again. I use this in my skimmer. It works great, and fast. It might let some slightly larger dust out than a sock would, but I have a cartridge filter, so if any escapes, it'll collect and continue to dissolve in the filter, and by the time it gets to my pool it'll be totally safe.

Evercare Delicates Wash Bag - Walmart.com

The mesh has to be very fine, if you buy something similar.

Stick with the dry. It's what's recommended here, it's easier and safer to use, easier to store, and is cheaper by quite a bit.

Does anybody find that the liquid stabilizer doesn’t do as good a job at raising the CYA as the solid stuff? I ask because I have always used the liquid stuff from Natural Chemistry and I swear it doesn’t raise the CYA with the recommended amount according to them and pool math. I’ve duplicated this many times. Anybody notice this?

I use the liquid as the cost on line is priced well. Although, I take a bucket (5 gallons) and fill it with water to around (4 gallons). Pour in some liquid conditioner and use a drill and large paint mixer and mix thoroughly for at least 30 seconds. It takes about 25-35 gallons before I am done. Towards the end, I fill up the bottle, place the cap and shake real well. There is never any residual or any staining on the liner. Also, I go around and broadcast all over the pool with the filter running for at least 12 hours after the addition.

The key is to really mix well. If you wait a few seconds, and the product is not mixed well, the residual will drop to the bottom of the orange bucket. Do not use blue as it is difficult to tell. My paint mixer is specific to the pool and nothing else. Doing this by hand or even with a stick will not work well. Has to be a paint mixer and it does take time. Easier for me than the sock method and powdered, but a little more expensive.

- - - Updated - - -

I do get the expected results based on my pool size.

Catanzaro, I challenge you to a duel. By the time you've poured out the CYA into one bucket, before you even get the drill ready, (and I think you're saying you have to repeat the process 5-7 times?), I'll have my dry in the bag in the skimmer! Done for the day. On guard, good fellow!

sword fight.jpg

Everybody finds what works best for them. That's the great thing about this site. You get lots of ideas, and you pick the one that works best for you!! ;)

I just thought of something else. Several of us have warned this stuff comes out of solution quite quickly in the jug, and in the bucket. If you're dispensing just part of the jug, like a half or quarter at a time, whatever, the chances of you having it mixed properly in the jug are pretty slim. So you're likely pouring off some diluted amount first, then a slightly less diluted amount next. Then towards the end of the jug you'll be pouring out a highly concentrated mix. See? So unless you're using a full jug each time, your CYA calculations are bound to be wrong, one way or the other.

- - - Updated - - -

Nice Picture Dirk! Always enjoy your posts. I have to say that using a drill and mixing is fun! It is like firing up that snowblower in the winter and going after the snow.

Thanks! ;)

And not to beat up on your MO too much more: just a warning for the OP. Using either dry or liquid, you have to be mindful of where it gets other than the pool. This stuff is acid, and can affect decking, concrete, and a lot of other surfaces. So whether you're pouring it into a sock, or into a bucket, you should keep if off of everything else.

- - - Updated - - -

Wait, snowblower in winter = fun?

Always careful with the product. Always use a full bottle or bottles, and only test after 3-5 days for CYA. Although, I do understand your concerns.

Wait, snowblower in winter = fun?

Only fun if you allow the snow to pile up to about 18", then grab the 30" that takes the snow out 40-50 feet. Unlike CA, NJ is very boring in the winter and staying indoor is not the most fun time either. After a few snowstorms, I am ready for the spring.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.