Liquid CL efficacy ques

tstex

Silver Supporter
Aug 28, 2012
Houston, TX
Hello to all,

I fill two 5 gal containers of 12.5% bleach and if I do not vent them by leaving the cap unscrewed just enough to allow excess gas to escape, then the plastic containers start to bulge. I keep them in the utility room and when someone shuts the door and the dryer is running, it accelerates the process bc it's warmer...so I've mandated no more door shutting...Either way, if the gas does escape, is the efficacy of the liquid CL compromised any? thanks

You are going to lose hypochlorite, the active chlorine sanitizer, with time. As you pointed out, temperature will accelerate the decomposition.
One of the decomposition products is oxygen. I don't think leaving the cap loose is going to do you any favors in keeping the bleach concentration up. It might save you having to vent, but generally leaving the lid off any chemical is not ideal.

I imagine most bleach containers can easily withstand whatever pressure would be built or are not as air-tight as the containers you transferred to. I'd recommend just venting them occasionally. 🤷‍♀️

EDIT: If you're concerned about them bursting, I would just vent them. You're not going to lose bleach from the oxygen venting, you're gaining oxygen because you're losing bleach.

Last edited:
Reactions: Newdude
If you're concerned about them bursting, I would just vent them
+1. I’d like to add *Carefully*. If the jugs are bloated they are under pressure and may spew or sneeze. What seems like common sense to most of us may not be for all future readers.

Thanks guys...I have barely turned the caps just enough to allow a very small amt of venting. Of course this happens more when they are just filled and it's warmer too. I keep in our utility room so it's temp controlled and never gets too hot, like our garage would. I've also stated, "no closing the doors when the drying is running" so that helps too. Thanks again, tstex

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.