Liquid chlorine

Jessi

Jul 22, 2019
NW Indiana
So we had our pool installed last summer & I followed the instructions & what not here & was using liquid chlorine but I'm short & I now have several shirts w/bleach marks on them from small splashes. My question is: is there any type of supply where I can put the chlorine in lower rather than over the side of the pool? (I was putting it in right by where the water comes in from the filter which isn't near the deck, that's why I'm getting splashes.) Or some mechanism that I can fill up a container & it can dole out chlorine as needed?

Welcome! :)

There are liquid pumps you can get that are automated. Someone can probably give advice, but it doesn't seem to be a very popular opinion.

Putting it by the return is just to help it mix in - you could put in a little at a time at the deck where it's easier to pour it slowly and gently and use a pool brush to mix it in when done.

Can you stand by the edge of the pool and lay the bottom od the chlorine jug into the water, then tip it so it pours? You can just sort of estimate how much to pour and let your testing confirm you met your goal.

Maddie :flower:

There are all kind of ways to get the bleach into the pool that doesn't cause splashing. As Dustin mentioned there are injection pumps that inject the bleach so you're only handling the jugs once every few weeks. That's what I have and I can load 15 gallons of bleach in it at a time, so I only have to refill the drum once every couple of months.

Then as Maddie said a lot of people lay the jug a little ways into the water and tilt it over and that helps. And others buy a small plastic pitcher or container and pour the bleach into that and those with a spout usually pour smoother that a bleach jug.

I prefer the injection pump, but then that's what I have. It's about as set it and let it run as anything.

Thank you all. I didn't realize I could put it in from the deck, well I did obviously know I could put it in anywhere but didn't realize I'd just have to stir it up. I have put it in a cup & dumped when I didn't need to put much in or wasn't being lazy.

Dave, thanks, I'll try looking up an injection pump.

There are all kind of ways to get the bleach into the pool that doesn't cause splashing. As Dustin mentioned there are injection pumps that inject the bleach so you're only handling the jugs once every few weeks. That's what I have and I can load 15 gallons of bleach in it at a time, so I only have to refill the drum once every couple of months.

Then as Maddie said a lot of people lay the jug a little ways into the water and tilt it over and that helps. And others buy a small plastic pitcher or container and pour the bleach into that and those with a spout usually pour smoother that a bleach jug.

I prefer the injection pump, but then that's what I have. It's about as set it and let it run as anything.

What kind of injection pump do you have? I've been looking online & have only found the Hasa Pool Liquidator

Welcome! :)

There are liquid pumps you can get that are automated. Someone can probably give advice, but it doesn't seem to be a very popular opinion.

Putting it by the return is just to help it mix in - you could put in a little at a time at the deck where it's easier to pour it slowly and gently and use a pool brush to mix it in when done.

I have always injected bleach/chlorine into my pool. (Except when the PB started the pool).
I learned this method right here and others in here use the same method.
A Stenner injection pump is used to accomplish this. Its a peristaltic pump that uses a tube and 3 rollers to "pump/displace" the chlorine.
I have their 15 gallon UV treated tank and connected it to the chlorinator installed by the PB.
These pumps are very reliable and precise and have been using mine for over three years injecting .9 ounces per minute.
For my pool to increase 1 ppm is about 30 to 40 minutes depending on bleach concentration.
Why do this?
I do it so that I can control my stabilizer (CYA) concentration separately from chlorine and I can literally dial in exactly how much chlorine I want to inject.
As a result my stabilizer concentration never goes higher than say 40 ppm and as a result I can keep my chlorine concentration below 5 % and always effective.
Refer to the Chlorine concentration/CYA chart somewhere in this forum.
Never have to dump my water to bring mt CYA concentration down.
Did it once and I hated to dump 12,000 gallons to bring CYA down to less than 50 ppm.

Puertex

I have my "pool shirts" specifically for this reason. They are mostly shirts that have been ruined from splashing chlorine on them. I liken it to an apron. If i'm going to be adding chlorine or MA to my pool and I'm wearing something that I will care if it gets messed up, I change my shirt.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have a Stenner Peristaltic Pump and a 15 gallon plastic drum. I didn't buy the Stenner tank, but they make a pretty neat combo of everything you need except a timer to get running.

I connected the Stenner to the Pentair Easy Touch panel and can schedule its operation while pairing the chlorine injection with the variable speed pool pump operation.
Its a convenience to program the panel remotely.
In 3 seasons the only thing I have had to replace on the Stenner is the peristaltic tube and fix a few leaks.
This is very reliable pump.
I think it is because they are designed for industrial applications like cooling tower chemical additions.

Puertex

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.