Liquid chlorine vs powder shock

Who cares that the pool store told you to use 5 pounds ... if they told you to jump off a bridge would you? ;)

We teach to maintain your pool based on accurate testing. Do you have a good test kit?

You can not "shock" a pool once and hope for the best ... well, you can, but that is a lot of HOPE!

We teach to follow the SLAM Process process when there is a problem in the pool and that is guaranteed to clear up the pool.

No, a vinyl pool does not need to worry about low CH.

Pool store told us to shock our pool with 5lbs powder shock. We typically use liquid chlorine so how much would that be? They said to only use the powder...

Also, our pool is vinyl and calcium hardness is low. Is this a problem?
Powdered "shock" can be a number of different chemicals: Dichlor, Trichlor, Cal-hypo in differing strengths, or Lithium Hypochlorite. If you already bought it, tell us what the label says and we can get you an equivalence in bleach. If you haven't already bought it, don't. The pool store told you an outright lie, either from ignorance or more likely because the profit margin is higher on the powders. You might have noticed the store was full of buckets and boxes of chlorine stuff...

If you want to know more, check out Pool School - How to Chlorinate Your Pool Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals and ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Also, low CH is no problem in your vinyl pool as there is no plaster to dissolve.

So, that is going to add calcium to your pool (which you do not need) and it could cause the water to become cloudy.

Problem is, why 5 bags? why not 3 or 10? We are just guessing without reliable test results.

What if you add 5 bags and a few days later the pool is still in bad shape? You would have just thrown money into the pool and then relying on the pool store to sell you more stuff.

Well.... from what I have read, the goal is to get to breakpoint chlorination which means add 10x the combined chlorine... Combined chlorine was 2.87. I have liquid chlorine 10% and the bags of shock that they sold me. So whatever is the best way to achieve the goal is what I want to do.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well .... you did not read that here. Breakpoint chlorination is non-sense.
You need to follow the SLAM Process process.

You need to decide if you want to learn the TFP method that we teach or continue to try the pool store methods. Trying to mix advice is just going to cause confusion, likely not work, and waste everyone's time and your $.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.