Liquid Chlorine tips?

Jun 20, 2010
Binghamton NY
Hello all! I decided to get some high concentrate liquid chlorine. I feel I am missing some vital information. Any tips on dispensing from the large jugs? I can barely lift it and do not feel like I am being quite precise when I pour some in. Are there any pumps or ... ? I don't know, something to make it safer?

Thanks,
Tracy

How large a jug are we talking here? The one gallon size I actually submerge in my pool, in front of return, to slightly below cap level and gently pour/tip in. I've had 5 gallon containers that I used to get from a power washing company that I would just tip over and pour, but I've got a lot of little white dots on my clothes from that method.

When I was manually dosing liquid chlorine I needed exactly one gallon of 8.25% bleach each day and it was perfect. It is much easier to pour a single bottle than wrestle with a 5 gallon jug each night.

You can install a stenner pump to automatically dispense chlorine. It is a lot easier than it seems.

Alternatively you can get a graduate container of an appropriate size to fill before dumping. You could even use a manual siphon or a wine thief type device to avoid losing the 5 gallon carboy all the time.

If you are using 12.5% in your pool, which is roughly 1/3rd of mine, then you will need less than a few ounces per day without activity. Even with activity, you will probably only need about 32 oz. daily. When I dosed manually, I would use old gallons and mark them either 32 oz. or 64 oz. and then fill enough with measuring cup for a whole month. I worked with gallons at a time, not 5 gallons.

You will probably have to transfer to smaller type of containers specifically suited for bleach. Or you can switch to 8.25% generic Wal-Mart which will be easier to work with. All depends on the true cost and savings for using the stronger 12.5%. Again, assuming this is what you are referring to.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.