Apr 13, 2018
Houston, TX
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
One of the first things I learned last year after building our first pool: a couple of pool owning friends advised me not to store the pool chemicals in the garage so as not to rust everything in site. So we got a plastic storage box for the side of the house, which is mostly shaded all day.

Now that I've seen the TFP light, I've switched from the trichlor pucks to liquid chlorine (current inventory is Pool Essentials from Walmart)...and I've seen a few threads on the forum from folks storing their chlorine inside, in a laundry room, etc... Does liquid chlorine not have the same oxidation risk (assuming an unopened bottle) as a bucket of pucks or shock? Where do most store their liquid chlorine?

Liquid chlorine is of no issue to store indoors. Bleach is kept in laundry rooms the world over, and it is the same stuff.

Acid, and as the pucks are acidic, should not be kept in enclosed places with metals and other chemicals.

Liquid chlorine is of no issue to store indoors. Bleach is kept in laundry rooms the world over, and it is the same stuff.

Acid, and as the pucks are acidic, should not be kept in enclosed places with metals and other chemicals.

I am in a similar situation with the OP but I have one of those big brown plastic deck boxes by our fence around the pool and it's actually in the sun most of the day. I've been getting the big blue 5 gal. jugs of Superchlor from my local Ace Hardware. You're not supposed to store liquid chlorine out in the sun, right? But what about inside a deck box that's in the sun? Is that ok? There are no other chemicals or metals in there, only stuff like a beach ball, floaties, pool noodles and goggles. It's also lockable. I guess I could move the deck box into a shaded area too, if need be.

Thanks!
-Gary

Last edited:
Heat is the enemy of bleach. If 12.5%, it degrades quickly above 80F. If 6%, it does not degrade nearly as much.

Heat is the enemy of bleach. If 12.5%, it degrades quickly above 80F. If 6%, it does not degrade nearly as much.

Interesting, thanks for the link! Other than degrading, is it any more dangerous when stored in a deck box in the sun all day vs. a deck box in the shade? Thanks!

Is there absolutely no way you can store it somewhere climate controlled? You will not be getting full strength of your purchase product otherwise. Unless you buy in small quantities and use quickly...

Is there absolutely no way you can store it somewhere climate controlled? You will not be getting full strength of your purchase product otherwise. Unless you buy in small quantities and use quickly...

There is, but I'd rather settle with 11% chlorine than lug a 5 gallon jug up and down out of my basement or carry it across my house from my garage. (The pool is on the opposite side of the house as the garage.) :) I usually dump about 3 quarts a day into the pool when it's super sunny out and the fam is swimming in it.

• Is the MA rationale for safety AFTER it's been opened or should I not keep unopened bottles of MA inside/near metal? I saw Kim posted where they shouldn't be kept together but this is the first post I've seen about keeping it inside.
  • What does 'near metal' mean? Immediately next to, 5 feet, 10 feet? Is this 'once opened so it doesn't spill on it' or can there be seepage through the container?
  • Will Georgia heat have any impact on MA if stored outside?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.