Liquid chlorine/shock rather than bleach - any issues?

Jul 29, 2017
Hampden, MA
After lots of trouble this year in our area with bleach being either 1) out of stock, 2) purchase quantities limited, or 3) expensive, I finally discovered liquid chlorine/shock. (after years buying bleach, ugh) I can get a gallon of 12.5% for $3, so half the price or less of the equivalent amount of bleach.

My question though - is there any difference with using the liquid Cl/shock rather than bleach, or anything to keep in mind? My husband thought that the Cl/shock would be consumed a lot faster than the bleach, but I don't think that either has stabilizers...is that right?

Thanks for your help!

It is the same as bleach. I would always chuckle during the height of the pandemic here in Ohio in April/May. Walmart would be out if bleach and have a sign limiting how much customers could buy. But over in the pool section plenty of 12.5% liquid shock which is just stronger and a better buy. Our local pool store sells it by the box of 4 and there is always plenty. Even though I have a SWG I always have a few gallons on hand in case I have to raise FC quickly.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Wow! $3 a gallon for 12.5% in MA? Best I can find in greater Houston is $4.25/gal. for 12.5% at Leslies in a carton of 4 gallons. Lowes is 3.86 for 10% (equivalent to 4.83 at 12.5%). Wally world is 3.64 for 10% (4.55 equiv. and out of stock) Home Depot is 4.49 for 10% (5.61 equivalent!) 7 million people in greater Houston, a zillion swimming pools, and the best I can do is 40% higher than in Massachusetts?

Wow! $3 a gallon for 12.5% in MA? Best I can find in greater Houston is $4.25/gal. for 12.5% at Leslies in a carton of 4 gallons. Lowes is 3.86 for 10% (equivalent to 4.83 at 12.5%). Wally world is 3.64 for 10% (4.55 equiv. and out of stock) Home Depot is 4.49 for 10% (5.61 equivalent!) 7 million people in greater Houston, a zillion swimming pools, and the best I can do is 40% higher than in Massachusetts?

I’m in Houston, and you should be able to find 10% liquid chlorine (HDX Chlorinating Liquid) at Home Depot for $3 / gallon, if you buy 12 gallons. They are sold in boxes of 3 one gallon bottles for $10, but the price drops to $9 / box ($3 / gallon) if you buy at least 3 or 4 boxes.

And here’s the best part: Home Depot will deliver to your house for a $10 delivery fee. Just place the order online. Before I had my SWG up and running, I was buying 18 gallons at a time, delivered to my house. So convenient. If you buy more than 18 gallons (6 boxes), they’ll charge you much higher delivery fees.

Reactions: Beckdefense
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.