Liquid chlorine questions

jcaj558

Oct 4, 2017
New Lenox, IL
I just started using liquid chlorine and looking for some tips. The calculator says that with my cya of 90 I should have my fc at 10. I tested this morning it was 8 so I added the appropriate amount. How long does it typically take for the liquid to bring fc up to level? How long after add the liquid is it before you can swim?

So as previously stated I put the liquid chlorine in for the first time this morning. Fc was 8 and the calculator said to add 44oz to get it up to 10fc with cya of 90. I just got home and check the fc and it’s at 7.5. How fast does the chlorine burn off? It has been a sunny day if that makes a difference.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The upper target range for a CYA of 90 (which is really too high for a non-SWCG pool) is 12 ppm. I would suggest you raise your FC to at least 12 ppm each day. See what your FC is the next day. You do not want to go below 7 ppm FC.

If you dose just once a day the drop in FC can be as big as the difference between the target FC and minimum FC. I've found that if you dose once a day or less you should probably adjust to at least to the higher target number, in your case 12. If it were me I'd go even higher, the additional CL consumption isn't much greater and the risk of problems is much lower.

I've also found that simply maintaining the minimum FC isn't always enough. It's helpful to "shock" the pool every so often as additional insurance. I manually bump my FC to slam level every few months now for some extra protection. I'm away a lot and don't vacuum and brush much so maybe that's why my pool needs a little "extra". I know this goes against some advice on this forum but it seems to help in my case.

Reactions: jcaj558
What happens if it drops below 7?
Letting the FC go below minimum allows the chance that algae can take hold.

There is no need to 'shock' the pool water. If a condition exists, such as cloudy water, excessive FC loss, etc, then follow the SLAM Process

You said you just tested at 7.5ppm FC. If so, add at least 3 ppm FC worth of chlorine now. Then check in the morning and add chlorine then back to 12 ppm FC.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.