Liquid Chlorine Pump

While the pump will pump enough bleach for a 5000 gallon pool, it would have to run a lot. You could plumb the 2 pumps in parallel to double the capacity and half the run time. You need to consider that the pump tubes will need annual replacement. Parts availability is essential. You are quoting a different pool than the one in your signature. If you have to add 3ppm of 6% bleach, that's 917mL/24 hours and at the capacity of the peristaltic pump you are linking. Therefore you must now add 20 hours per day main pump electricity cost for all of that unnecessary run time. That does not sound cost effective. A 0.5HP pump may draw 500 watts. Running a single speed 500 watt pump for 20 uncessessary hours per day is 10KWH per day. If your electricity is $0.12/KWH then you will have $36/month unnecessary electricity cost. A pump larger than 500W will cost you even more to run.

I didn't look at the pump tubes for your pump. Stenner uses Santoprene. You'd need to be sure the tubes are compatible with sodium hypochlorite solutions.

Payback without even considering the pump tube costs: $250 (Stenner) - $56 (your perisaltic pump) = $194 less expensive for your peristaltic pump. Lower pump run times for Stenner payback at $36/mo = 5.4 months. It does not seem economical to use a pump that small.

Last edited:
Reactions: BowserB
This might be a frighteningly ignorant question, but why don't people pull water from their pool to supply their landscape irrigation system (with an appropriate backflow preventer)? As the irrigation system pulls water from the pool drain, you're then constantly replenishing your pool with fresh city water that is already balanced and treated (which you'd be doing anyway). Wouldn't this potentially kill two birds with one stone? I know landscape irrigation systems aren't potable, and therefore cannot feed into a pool, but I haven't seen anything saying you can't pull water from a pool. I guess the issue is that it wouldn't pull enough water often enough?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.