Liquid Chlorine in Lieu of Tablets

elecsheep9

May 20, 2021
Long Island, New York
I found a source for liquid chlorine locally.

Can I just use the liquid chlorine in lieu of the chlorine tablets? The tablets never seemed to raise the chlorine levels anyway.

If so, how long should I wait after adding the liquid chlorine before entering the pool (figure about 20 oz for a 7,000 gallon pool.)

If your CYA level is in the Recommended Levels, you should be using liquid chlorine exclusively.

Add the liquid chlorine at the return with the pump running. Go swimming after the pump runs for 15 minutes or so. You can brush the area if you like.

Check your CYA level with your TF-100 test kit. It should be in the 30-50ppm range. If it's there, stick to liquid chlorine exclusively. Tablets raise the CYA every time you use them and it stays in the water and builds and builds. They are not a great way to chlorinate over the long haul. They will lead you to having to drain and refill water to get the CYA down to a manageable level. The great thing about liquid chlorine is that it does not contain any stabilizer (CYA) in it, so once you get your CYA to where you want it, you are always dosing your FC to a certain level without having to hit a moving target (the CYA constantly climbing through use of pucks).

Save pucks for if you go on vacation or if your CYA is a little low and you want to bump it up a tad. That's really their ideal usage. Anything else can get you into trouble.

Why is it not a good idea to put liquid chlorine directly in to the skimmer?

Because concentrated chlorine is corrosive, for one. I'd rather it be diluted in the pool before flowing through any expensive equipment, such as heater cores, which are amongst the most sensitive pieces of pool equipment.

Reactions: IceShadow
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.