Liquid Chlorine - How Much?

Sanford35000

Jun 23, 2021
Sanford NC
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
New to TFP. Hello all.

I somehow managed to add too much Calcium Hardness Increaser to my 35,000 gallon pool last week and don’t want to use the powder shock that I normally use every week so that I don’t raise the CH any further. The CH is about 500 right now, but the LSI is at a good level and the water is crystal clear.

I normally add 3 - 1 pound bags of Clorox X-tra Blue or hth shock, but want to start using liquid chlorine or bleach so that I don’t increase the CH.

Can someone please tell me how much bleach to use that would be the equivalent of using 3 pounds of powder shock (either Clorox X-tra Blue or hth)?

Thanks in advance.

Are you adding a Cal hypo product? Clorox X-tra Blue and hth shock look like trichlor or dichlor products, which won't introduce calcium. You also shouldn't use the Clorox X-tra Blue, or anything with "blue" in the name as it has copper in it and will eventually stain your pool (among other bad things).

Can someone please tell me how much bleach to use that would be the equivalent of using 3 pounds of powder shock (either Clorox X-tra Blue or hth)?
This all depends on the concentration. If you are buying 6% bleach from the store 73oz will raise your FC by 1ppm. Mess with the pool math app to see how much you should put in: PoolMath

Also keep in mind if you don't have a good test kit, you don't really know what your numbers are. Test Kits Compared

Are you adding a Cal hypo product? Clorox X-tra Blue and hth shock look like trichlor or dichlor products, which won't introduce calcium.
My mistake. It’s the TA level that’s too high at 160. It’s my understanding that tricolor and dichlor will increase the TA, but bleach won’t.

Last edited:
Dichlor & trichlor increase cya (stabilizer) as well as free chlorine & are also acidic so they can reduce ph
Cal hypo increases calcium hardness as well as free chlorine
As mentioned above use PoolMath to calculate additions
For liquid chlorine select bleach & put in your percentage of sodium hypochlorite it should be listed on the bottle.
Here’s some reading to further your understanding of the chlorine types 👇
Also check out ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.