Liner replacement

Apr 18, 2014
Fayetteville, AR
This past winter my vinyl liner ripped badly during a round of extreme cold. It’s finally time to replace it, I’ve called around and the going rate seems to be about $3500 including new fixtures etc. I can order a new liner for under $1000 and I’m pretty handy so I’ve decided to replace it myself as it looks pretty straight forward. While I’m at it, I’m going to replace the old non-functioning halogen light system with a new LED lighting system. The pool is a simple rectangle of 18x36 with end wall steps, three returns, a skimmer, and a main drain.

My question is are there any pitfalls I’m overlooking? Looks like I’ll need to purchase the liner, step gasket, liner wedge loc, new wall foam and adhesive, and the Treo LED light upgrade system. Anything else? I’ll have a few friends to help but there won’t be a redo if there is a stumbling block early on and I would have to go it myself probably, so I want to get my ducks in a row first.

Oh, one other thing. I don’t live in a high water table area, is it safe for me to drain the water out if it is going to sit empty for a week or two? The side walls are plastic not steel if that matters. It is about 35% full now between drainage from the rip and evaporation so clearly isn’t full now, but there is still substantial water in it. Emptying it will require a sump pump I’m sure since the level is so low and of course will be much slower than using the main drain.

I would not leave it dry/empty for too long (more that 1 or 2 days) as you REALLY do not want to take a chance of the walls and bottom getting messed up.

Is this an above ground pool or in ground? If it is an above ground I would think about getting the foam cove for it. Makes life so much easier!

Kim:kim:

So no cove needed for you. I added that piece of into to your signature. With it being an in ground I would not have it empty very long at all. Sure do not want to take a chance on the walls collapsing!

Kim:kim:

This makes me feel better, I was “promoted” at work and while the money will be nice I definitely don’t have the time to do this project any longer. To be fair, the install wasn’t too daunting but I was very scared of mismeasuring. This way someone else has to deal with it all. I drained the pool down to about 3 foot, we really don’t have a high water table (typical well has to go over 300 ft to be stable) since we are basically the high point for miles and our soil is basically rock and red clay (even soaking wet it is nearly dried and stained concrete). The pool installer I contracted with told me it would be about 4 weeks until the liner was installed so hopefully no 14-20+ inch rains (“100 year flood” ...like has happened three of the last 7 years) happen.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.