Liner replacement - questions about results, costs, etc.

joseywales

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 11, 2009
Exton, PA
I paid to have the liner replaced and here's my concerns/questions:

- they didn't level out the sand. So as you walk, you feel unevenness throughout. The shop foreman said they would level, but it sure doesn't feel like it. The sand was pretty wet when the installed the replacement liner, so not sure what they should have done???

- when I rub my hand, it feels like there are tiny bumps between the liner and the pool wall. They're nearly everywhere. Could that be sand trapped? They feel much larger than a single grain for sure, so they would have to be clumps of sand. It's definitely on the inside and not the surface of the liner. So the liner isn't textured, unless it's textured on the side that faces the pool wall.

- what is a reasonable labor cost to replace an 18' round liner?

- what is a reasonable cost to put stone down, place the heater, and run hard lines to the pool. A plumber/electrician ran all of the gas and electric.

This is the same company that installed the pool and they did a good job. This time, though, I don't think the site workers were told exactly what was expected. I know this, because they had to run out to a local shop and buy the hard pipes, etc. They were just going to put the stone down and drop the heater.

Any thoughts are appreciated?

I've had both a sand and vermiculite base and my experience with the sand was that it can be completely level when they install the liner but it's going to leave marks when you walk on it anyway. I really didn't want a hard floor this time, but vacuuming is so much easier

Agreed. It's just, I specifically asked them to fill and smooth out the sand. So day 1, I expected better. And, to your point, I put eh vacuum in and it flipped after about 10 minutes. Prior to the liner replacement, there was only one or two area where that would happen.

I paid to have the liner replaced and here's my concerns/questions:

- when I rub my hand, it feels like there are tiny bumps between the liner and the pool wall. They're nearly everywhere. Could that be sand trapped? They feel much larger than a single grain for sure, so they would have to be clumps of sand. It's definitely on the inside and not the surface of the liner. So the liner isn't textured, unless it's textured on the side that faces the pool wall.

With the encouragement of this forum, and lots of you tube videos, I did a DIY liner replacement a few years ago. Regarding the texture you feel, is it everywhere or just in some areas? When I re-did my liner I did a lot duct taping over seems, where a repair was made by previous owner, etc. I was pretty deliberate about it. And yet, when complete, I noticed that textured feeling in one spot (a several square foot area). It could be in other places around the pool as well, but definitely not everywhere. I was wishing I would have taped over it because I fear it will wear the liner more quickly in that area, but how did I miss it? My only guess is that it was such a small amount of rusting or even just an imperfection in the walls that was not visually noticeable so I did not smooth or treat it. Perhaps the heavy liner over the bumps make it more pronounced??

So, I don't have a definitive answer, but I'm fairly confident it is not sand.

I spent a lot of time making sure the sand was level, even, lacking dimples, it was very tedious and I thought I did a good job, but when dust/dirt settles on the bottom it exposes some creases and dimples, but they are otherwise not noticeable. Is this what you are talking about or you mean you can actually feel like your feet are on an incline? I think it is impossible to have it perfect, but seems strange to feel sand moving around under your feet, I would think the immense weight of the water would pack it in pretty quickly.

I tend to agree that it's not sand, because they vary so much ins size and some I can really feel. The wall dimples run throughout, except just above the water line, possibly because the liner tends to have space between the wall at that point? My biggest fear is that a kid will feel a dimple and pick it. Some of them are large enough you could absolutely pick it with a fingernail and I'm afraid they'll tear the liner. Is it possible the liner is tighter than the old one (i'm sure it would be) and I just feels these? Is it possible that it's a thinner liner than before? I went with the same company, figuring they would replace for like kind, but now am thinking I should have micromanaged this.

I do not feel like sand is moving under my feet, nor do I feel like my feet or on an incline. There are divets and after 10 minutes the vacuum is on it's side. That would happen maybe once each session before, but with the new liner it happens more often. Just walking on it, you can tell it doesn't feel smooth. You cold almost stub a toe in some areas.
The floor of the pool has more divets than it had in the past. We didn't step in the pool, until it was completely filled - took two days.

Those sounds like some large divots, almost like they walked around the sand and left foot imprints all over. I taped large pieces of cardboard to my shoes so I could walk around without making imprints. If it is turning over your vacuum and can be felt so easy, it does sound like sloppy work.

At this point, I think you need to call and express your dissatisfaction - not sure what recourse you may have, depends what is written in the fine print I suppose, but divots like that seem excessive.

You could also inquire as to the thickness of the replacement liner compared to the original. But my experience was similar in that I never recall feeling those bumps with the old liner, though I am fairly confident the replacement liner I use was of higher quality and thickness.

For your question on price reasonability, the only reference point I can give is that I was quoted $1000 for liner install and they required that I purchase the liner from them.

Thanks. The $1000 is the right number. Just to clarify, you feel the dimples in your wall as well?

Yes, I do feel texture in some areas on the walls (not talking floor dimples) through the liner, but not everywhere and I am not sure the cause.

Here is a link to my liner replacement thread, check out the pic in post 10 of the interior wall. I wonder if those discoloration points are what we are feeling through the liner? Where I notice it especially is around the return, but that might just be because I am over there and feeling that wall more often than other areas.

Help Paul install his new liner

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.