Liner Replacement (Inground)

Rebel86

Feb 26, 2020
Columbia, MS
Hi All,

I'm a complete newbie here, came across TFP while researching how difficult it would be to replace an in-ground pool liner myself. Any advice or opinions would be very much appreciated. I recently purchased a home with a 16x32 pool. The liner is approaching the end of it's life and will need replacing in the near future. I have obtained three quotes (from local pool companies in my area) for a new liner and installation. The lowest being $6,230. I would like to know if any of you have replaced a liner yourself, and if so how difficult was it to do? My pool is very basic (rectangle size) and has no steps or lights. Again, any input from others would be much appreciated. I've attached a couple pics below.

Thanks much!

Pool1.jpg

Pool2.jpg

Is that just for a new liner? Any repair work?

It seems high to me. We just built our pool, but part of getting quotes was getting basic prices to compare for liner replacements.

Thank you for the response. Yes, all the quotes seemed very high to me. The quote price included the liner and installation only. Repair work, wall foam, and anything else needed is billed in addition. Quote seems high to me given the simple structure of the pool. Which is why i am considering replacing it myself. But it worries me if any repairs will be necessary when i removed the old liner. And if i run into any problems when replacing the new one. Thanks again for the response!!

I have the same size pool and shape, no steps, no lights. My last liner replacement (May 2014) was just over $4500. That included my son and I removing water and old liner; them patching some of the vermiculite (I can't remember how many bags), cleaning vermiculite, foam, new coping, new gaskets, new skimmer faceplate and new drain cover and new return eyeballs, liner install and 10k gallons of water (we filled the rest by hose). (They cleaned the vermiculite to remove anything loose. Make sure this is done. When I purchased the house in 2011, the flipper went cheap and the guy that installed the liner did NOT do this. We were constantly patching small holes that the company that installed said wasn't their problem. You wouldn't think it, but little tiny pieces of vermiculite was popping through the liner and causing pinholes).

If I had it to do over, I would have added vinyl covered steps in one of the corners (on my list for next replacement lol). When I did the replacement in 2014, I had him quote me adding the fiberglass steps since I was adding new concrete. Nope, wasn't paying that price, and I didn't think about adding corner ones until I saw it on one of the threads here.

Thanks for all that info. It gives me a better idea of pricing and questions to ask beforehand. I also had my local pool store give me a quote on adding steps (in addition to replacing liner) to the pool when i purchased the home a few years back. I was very surprised at how expensive that would be. Vinyl covered steps may be the way to go....thanks for that info. Yes, my biggest concern is what you stated above about loose vermiculite. If i were to remove the old liner i wouldn't know where to begin with making repairs. Which could potentially be a huge problem. The three quotes i received were all across the board. Lowest being $6,230 + Repairs. Highest was $9k. Thanks again for sharing your past experience.

Reactions: kimmielea
Mine was around $ 4,500 including measuring for the replacement, as the old liner didn't show a serial number. Did that quote include measuring?

If so and if you can find the serial number(usually on the shallow end, facing wall side. Then they may knock off a thousand. A serial lookup will provide dimensions to cut a new one.

That pool does look pretty big.

Its do able but not easy for a first timer. If you had 1 guy who knew what hes doing you could do it. Biggest problem is making repairs and having the right gaskets. Then there is the issue of measuring which takes some skill. Cutting holes in a new liner isnt for the faint of heart

Thanks to both of you for the advice. I think after doing some research and asking questions it's best to leave the liner installation to a professional. I reached out to a pool contractor who lives about 45 minutes away and he provided me a quote range of $4500 (Liner, Installation, and Minor Repairs) to $5200 if larger repairs are needed. I had no idea that pool measurement might save me some money. I will definitely try to find my serial number when i get home this evening. Is it normally just stamped directly into the vinyl?? Thanks again guys. Very much appreciate the advice.

Ya printed into the liner on its backside, typically in shallow end near stairs, if you have them. It could be with any paperwork left by previous owner too.

I like to diy everything but a liner for my pool, I'm gonna pay someone knowing it will be done right.

But it worries me if any repairs will be necessary when i removed the old liner. And if i run into any problems when replacing the new one.

Both of these are very valid concerns. I can replace a window. But if the whole wall is rotten when i remove the old one, or is 3 inches off plumb........ I'm in over my head very quickly and it will be weeks before a carpenter will come fix the boarded up hole in the wall.

My pool is newer so i'd be less worried about finding damage and more worried about not knowing a simple hack/trick that is well known by the pros, or how a simple problem could still be beyond my ability.

To find smaller and hopefully cheaper companies to do the work, I'd lookup and call any electricians and plumbers nearby. A large company probably does their own, but a Mom and Pop shop might sub that work out. Or if the pool company people are doing side work on the weekends, the plumbers/electricians might know anout it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
we just did ours end of the season putting in the liner was the easy part :) I broke down the cost me and the better 1/2 put the liner in in one night. I will get the cost
you can look threw the post mine needed alot more then just a liner. If you are going to do it measure it several times different days, and make sure you clean it out good before you put the liner in and no shoes the liner we got was the only 637.84. it was on sale. my pool is 16 x 32 as well

Last edited:
Thanks to all of you for the advice. I greatly appreciate it. I have shopped around liner and installation prices from everywhere i could find within an hour or so from my home. It seems like a decent liner can be purchased for around $1,000. The least expensive quote I've got (for liner and install) is for $4500 (plus tax of course). Just seems like $3500 for installation only is pricey. As i stated in my original post, i fear replacing myself and running into issues with repairs when i remove the old liner. However, i just had a baby and spending $4,500 right now is not something i really want to have to do. But, if i did the replacement myself and ran into problems or made a mistake when installing, it could end up costing MORE than what i would have paid to have it done to begin with. Thanks again for all your help.

well $3500 to drop the liner in. I should just do liners.
Here there is not alot of pool companies, so my opinion is based on that.
what is the pool base, when you walk on it does it fill like concrete or is it slightly spongy or does it feel like sand.
ALL of them are easy to repair, mine was extreme do to being neglected for several years like 10.
Most that I have seen its just patch the vermiculite, smooth the sand, patch the concrete. and put the liner in.
If you decide to do it and have any questions just ask.
If you have someone do it take pics love pics :)
heck if you guys lived here you could have a cook out and we would just replace it.. : )
congrats on the baby

Reactions: bggrizzle
Thanks much! It's spongy when you walk on he bottom. Theres one crater in the shallow end that small (size of grapefruit) that needs to be repaired but other than that i don't see any other damage. However, i am very aware that just because i cannot see any damage DOES NOT mean that there's not any damage that will be seen when the old liner is removed. My liner is old i would guess at least 10 plus years.....however, the pool has always been maintained by a local pool service, so i do know for sure that its not been neglected. I agree with you i should install pool liners for a living.....$3500 a pop seems like a good pay day to me.

If you can wait until the fall, I think prices will come down. The economy should be approaching its worst, the coronavirus infectivity should have died down some, and competition for your money should be much higher! Also, I would check on the thickness of the vinyl included in those quotes (apples to apples). A thinner liner may not be a good deal.

I use the letgo app and people can 'sell' their services too. It will have a picture of a tree being cut down for example for $1 and you message the 'seller' to come for a quote. This time of year there are alot of smaller pool companies advertising for openings/repairs. With next to no overhead, you may get a better price from a liitle guy.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.