Liner replacement and new water

Mar 30, 2015
NC
Hi everyone!
We had a liner replacement and new water this week. Yesterday I tested the water and FC-1.0, ph-8.0, TA- 80, and CYA- I never could get the dot to get cloudy. I vacuumed it, backwashed it and then added 1lb of shock. This morning my FC is non existent. Like never would turn pink when I added the powder, ph has tanked (below 7.0), TA-60, and CYA- still seeing the black dot. I added a pound of sodium carbonate and another pound of shock. What do I need to do for my alkalinity and CYA?
Thanks so much!

You are not a new pool owner but have new water so I will share a set of links I put together a set for new people/water:
Print these out:
Pool School - Basic Pool Care Schedule

Pool School - Recommended Levels

Bookmark these:
Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

Trouble Free Pool

Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

These links will tell you where you want your levels and what to buy and use to adjust each one. The only two that cannot be added at the same time is muriatic acid (to lower the pH) and chlorine (to add FC). They do not play well together. It is best to wait about 15 mins between adding these two. All of the others can be done at the same time or right after each other.

-I would get some liquid chlorine to get and keep your FC up.

-I would get some powder CYA (Lowes or Walmart) and put in enough in a sock or two (like you wear) and hang them over the side in front of the return.

-Get some muriatic acid (Lowes or Home Depot) to lower the pH. Use care with this stuff. It is not fun :( Make sure to wear eye protection and be up wind from it. You can float the bottle in the water and tip it slightly to pour it into the measuring cup. Hold your breath as much as you can.

I hope this helps.

Reactions: mickey4paws
You are not a new pool owner but have new water so I will share a set of links I put together a set for new people/water:
Print these out:
Pool School - Basic Pool Care Schedule

Pool School - Recommended Levels

Bookmark these:
Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

Trouble Free Pool

Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

These links will tell you where you want your levels and what to buy and use to adjust each one. The only two that cannot be added at the same time is muriatic acid (to lower the pH) and chlorine (to add FC). They do not play well together. It is best to wait about 15 mins between adding these two. All of the others can be done at the same time or right after each other.

-I would get some liquid chlorine to get and keep your FC up.

-I would get some powder CYA (Lowes or Walmart) and put in enough in a sock or two (like you wear) and hang them over the side in front of the return.

-Get some muriatic acid (Lowes or Home Depot) to lower the pH. Use care with this stuff. It is not fun :( Make sure to wear eye protection and be up wind from it. You can float the bottle in the water and tip it slightly to pour it into the measuring cup. Hold your breath as much as you can.

I hope this helps.
You are the best!!

Mom, where do you keep the muriatic acid? How old are the twins?

Muriatic acid and chlorine do not get along. They should not be stored close to each other. M.A. really should not be stored inside a Landry room or such as it's fumes are nasty and builds up. Most people store it outside in something like a plastic trash can or a plastic cabinet that can be locked if little hands might mess with it. It's fumes can case metal to rust. It is not affected heat or sun so no worries about it being stored outside in the heat.

Mom, where do you keep the muriatic acid? How old are the twins?

Muriatic acid and chlorine do not get along. They should not be stored close to each other. M.A. really should not be stored inside a Landry room or such as it's fumes are nasty and builds up. Most people store it outside in something like a plastic trash can or a plastic cabinet that can be locked if little hands might mess with it. It's fumes can case metal to rust. It is not affected heat or sun so no worries about it being stored outside in the heat.
My twins are 13 so I’m not too worried about them getting into it accidentally. My husband had me put it under our house. We have a high crawl space (like can walk in). The chlorine and other chemicals stay in the barn. PH is still in a roller coaster. One day too high next day too low. We had lots of rain last night so I’m interested to see how that affects it today. I’m struggling trying to find liquid chlorine in my area.

Liquid chlorine (aka pool shock) should be available at a pool store and any big box store (Lowes, Home Depot, Menards, Wal-Mart, etc). Regular bleach (not Chlorox) will work although I prefer pool shock since it is stronger.

Since you are going to be working with chemicals around the pool I'd educate your twins on the dangers of chlorine and muriatic acid. My grandkids always want to help so I took the time to explain and demonstrate the dangers of both. My $.02 for what it's worth.

Last edited:
Liquid chlorine (aka pool shock) should be available at a pool store and any big box store (Lowes, Home Depot, Menards, Wal-Mart, etc). Regular bleach (not Chlorox) will work although I prefer pool shock since it is stronger.

Since you are going to be working with chemicals around the pool I'd educate your twins on the dangers of chlorine and muriatic acid. My grandkids always want to help so I took the time to explain and demonstrate the dangers of both. My $.02 for what it's worth.
LOL! No worry there. My teenagers don't want to help do anything! Plus, we've had a pool since they were small so they know not to mess with the stuff. Our pool store doesn't have liquid chlorine, only powder shock which is what I was using but kimkats suggested liquid chlorine. I've checked Lowes and Walmart but I think with it being near the end of the season I can't find any. You say regular bleach but not clorox. Don't you want a certain % level of chlorine? Most of what I see is the store brands with the small percentage.

Clorox has additives you don't want. Regular bleach works although the % of chlorine is less. It does mean you will need more of it. Wal-Mart or Lowes might order it for you and have it shipped to your local store. Try their online stores and have it shipped to the local store for pickup. I know our local Home Depot will do that for things they sell that the local store doesn't stock.

Powder shock usually has CYA as well. To much CYA is a bad thing. That's why we suggest liquid chlorine. Start a thread with "where do I find chlorine in my town" and see if anyone can suggest a local chain.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.