Liner Lock - Does it make a difference?

michael60

Jul 18, 2019
New York
We have an inground cement wall pool with a vinyl liner that we have had for 21 year. Its a 30,000 gallon "mountain lagoon" shape (looks like Mickey Mouse with one stunted ear). We just had the liner replaced for the second time. The first liner had no liner lock and started to pull out at the top over time in a few places. With the second install 11 years later (10 years ago) they offered the liner lock and it helped a little but there were still some spots that pulled free. We just had the liner replaced again but the salesman made a mistake and forgot to include the liner lock in the estimate even though my wife and I had clearly requested this. The liner is installed and the pool has been filled while this dispute was in progress. I am now wondering two things

1) Does it make enough of a difference to really argue with them over this? They want to charge another $450 for the liner lock and after paying $10,000 for the liner I've been pushing back since we discussed this before the estimate was given.

2) Can the liner lock even be installed when the pool has been filled or would we have to drain it to a lower level?

Thanks in advance for any advice

To be simply honest the liner lock if needed should be part of the install. I've never heard of it being an extra charge so maybe it's thrown in as part of the complete job. But to answer the initial question YES you need it in all the stress areas at minimum such as in the corners where there's much more stress and it tends to pull out over months/years. Probably not necessary on the straight runs but on curved designed kidney shaped it's almost a must. If you can't get them to budge you may be able to buy it on your own and just call it a DIY project. In the radius they cut smaller pieces to conform.

Reactions: michael60
To be simply honest the liner lock if needed should be part of the install. I've never heard of it being an extra charge so maybe it's thrown in as part of the complete job. But to answer the initial question YES you need it in all the stress areas at minimum such as in the corners where there's much more stress and it tends to pull out over months/years. Probably not necessary on the straight runs but on curved designed kidney shaped it's almost a must. If you can't get them to budge you may be able to buy it on your own and just call it a DIY project. In the radius they cut smaller pieces to conform.
Thanks for the info. I’m going to insist they do the liner lock if they want us to pay the outstanding balance.

Reactions: Mdragger88
You can buy liner lock dirt cheap Amazon and DIY. It takes zero skill to push it into the track. For those 2 reasons, anyone charging $450 for it will have to attone one day for their bad karma.

120 ft for $28

Scroll to the bottom of the link for a visual. I used a shim for refrence instead of actual liner lock, but you'll get the idea. It's a wedge and you just push it in. Use a rubber mallot if it's stubborn.

Last edited:
Reactions: michael60
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.