Liner failed- time to replace/refurb

Jun 15, 2014
Hi all. When I bought my current place, I also got my first pool (in ground vinyl 20K). The pool liner wasn't great (pretty wrinkly in the deep end and a bit stained), but my pool guy recommended waiting on replacement unless for appearance. Well, it finally gave out sometime over the last month or so, as I'm down close to four feet- just a few inches in the shallow end. And here I was planning to open a little early!

Now I need to decide on what to do- just a new liner and any necessary repairs, a big refurb with new decking, or something in between. I've already replaced most of the equipment (VS pump, SWG & controller, heat pump & DE filter), so that part of the system is doing pretty well. The metal edge holding down the vinyl (coping?) isn't in great shape and will probably get replaced with the vinyl anyway. Fiberglass stairs in the shallow end don't look great, could be replaced but not sure. I could certainly see beefing up the drain to the bigger/double arrangement recommended nowadays, maybe replacing the basic light with something else.

What do folks think? Any suggestions of things to consider when the pool's already going to be dry? I'll add some pics shortly when I get the cover off.

Thanks,
Mark

Post pics of the areas you mentioned above.

But don't leave your pool without water for very long. In a liner pool the water helps support the walls. Sitting empty or close to empty can lead to major structural damage.

While you are considering what to do you may want to patch the liner, if you can, so it can hold water. Or if the leak is not very large keep adding water to keep the pool at least half full.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.