Liner change and I turned new water green!

Jul 10, 2015
Massachusetts
I have a 18x40 28000 gallon in ground SWG pool with cartridge filter. The original liner had two spots near the water line that had tears. We let it go and got a new liner immediately per warranty. The rips finally got bad enough after 7 years to do a liner replacement with the warranty liner I had in my basement. The guys filled 2 blowup pools full of water to save some, but had to drain most. They refilled from the blowup pools as they were working on the wrinkles, bought a truck of water, then filled 20 inches from my house hose.

The water was standing there while I waited for the repair guys to finish the open. I wanted a pipe change or I would have opened myself as I have the past 5 years.

So the water finished filling on Thursday and I bought chlorine and salt. Since it was the long weekend and I didn’t know when they would return, I said to myself - let’s preemptively put in chlorine so it doesn’t get algae while we wait. Threw in 2 bags of calcium hypochlorite 56% thinking it would prevent algae developing as the water warms while waiting for plumbing changes. Figured I would have to wait the entire long weekend so 5 days of still water.

Look outside a few hours later and the clear fill water is now clear emerald green. I assume copper in the water reacted to the chlorine.

Here are my numbers for TFTestKit

PH - redder than 7.2 not to 7.5
Chlorine- 3
FC - 14
CC - 1
Calcium - 125
TA - 160
CYA - 0 as expected

I know I need to add CYA. The Pool Math App says 13 pounds.

Apparently my chlorine was OK before I added more. Dumb Dumb Dumb not to test first, but I think I would have seen something like this eventually.

I assume the town water must have copper or other metal in it that worked with the chlorine to turn the water into something from Emerald City. It is clear, but green.
What do you suggest to remove the copper or other metals. I have seen a Metal Out product but need advice on using it. Also advice on the cartridge filter cleaning during this process.

I called and the pool person may make it here today to change the pipe, clean up old liner pieces from the yard, and set up the filter and pump. I will wait a bit, but I know he won’t be here until Tuesday if I don’t see him by 2 today. So I may set it up myself this afternoon if necessary and he will have to take it apart to change the pipes. Right now the pipe goes under the filter with the salt cartridge. It is a major PITA to set up and I had a salt cartridge issue last year and had to fool with it mid season.

Attached photo of green water

Attachments

• D9860E56-62C1-40EE-A398-9CF9D408A2BD.jpeg
    D9860E56-62C1-40EE-A398-9CF9D408A2BD.jpeg
    548.2 KB · Views: 30
Good morning, please be patient as it’s a holiday weekend and people are away. But you’ll get the expert advice you need. (I don’t have any knowledge on a liner pool)

I highly doubt your city water has copper in it, but where did the “truck” water come from?
Until you can get that pump up and running, keep the debris out of the water, as it’s only going to fuel the algae bloom.
Prepare for a slam by stocking up on liquid chlorine and having CYA on hand.

Things are going to be rough without good circulation. If it's Iron (yellowish tint and blue background makes green) it might end up going rusty. Could look like coffee. That's not entirely bad -- rust particles can be filtered out using polyfill. Or it may just stay ugly green, which often filters out by itself in a day. Except you have no filtration yet.
Copper or other metals can be cleared with a sequestrant. See the pictures.

You don't want to make the job any harder by adding algae to the mix! So use the mesh skimmer or leaf rake to get stuff out. Chlorinate and stir it around good with the brush to get it all mixed. And like I said, it may make it look worse, but as long as it isn't algae, it's not that big a deal.

Swept out those annoying brown things flowing down from the surrounding trees. Also dumped two basketfuls of them too. The filter has been set up, since the replumbing can’t happen due to strangely glued in SWG cartridge. We decided to wait until it fails and then replumb the pipes when replacing the new SWG cartridge - another year or four. So the filter is running and I dropped in sequestrate. It is lighter green already, so I will pull the filter cartridge out and clean it off tomorrow or Tuesday. I hope to add salt and CYA soon.

I'd imagine what really happened is that with CYA being 0, you were likely left with a lot of water that didn't have good circulation and / or the chlorine didn't mix well.

I'd chalk it up to a pool not being properly filtered / pumped and the chlorine / CYA levels not being proper. I'd suspect once you get the pool pumping / filtering and keep the pool at shock level for a few days, it will begin to clear right up.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.