Carbondale, PA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-30 Plus
So we decided to make some changes in our pool setup prior to opening this season. I bought my house six years ago from my best friend. I had ZERO pool experience. We closed in August in Northeast PA so I didn’t even have a full month. She couldn’t tell me anything because she had someone come open it and close it and she just took her water to the pool store at the beginning of the month and bought and added whatever they told her to. If she had any issues off to the pool store she went! I muddled through the end of that first season and got serious. I came here and learned how to close the pool! Mission success! Then I bought a saltwater hot tub and the game was on! I bought a test kit, speed stirrer, the whole nine yards. I figured it all out real quick!!!

Fast forward to Late April/early may of the following year! I took all my knowledge I gained over the winter and got to work! I took the cover off to a nice clear pool! I installed all my own equipment and started checking water levels! Using bleach all summer, I avoided any major issues and continued to do so for 4 more seasons! Last year we decided to put some solar panels on our roof and try and heat the pool! BAD idea! I do not recommend to anyone! I struggled all summer to keep that water level balanced and at the end said forget it and threw the cover on the pool without even closing it the right way. I don’t know if it was because of the draw off the pump an filter so it wasn’t filtering right, or what? But it was BAD!!!! I Had my first green pool since I started. I felt like a major failure.

So this year I bought a new liner and that was installed Sunday. I also picked up a used Hayward H350 Gas heater for a major steal. And I made the decision to go with a Circupool RJ30 SWCG system. After what seemed like 90 trips to Home Depot and the pool store today we finally got everything plumbed into place. Hubby needs to finish rewiring the electricity next to the pool tomorrow. Whoever did the job years ago did it HORRIBLY. Surprised we didn’t have major problems before now. I have to get salt, about 500 pounds by my calculations, and get it added. I have to add the last bit of water and we can get all of that running and ready to swim hopefully by Thursday or Friday. We are just waiting on the gas company to come install a new meter for us and hubby will run the gas line from there back to the pool! So yeah basically a whole new pool and a new way of doing things!

If anyone has any advice for the SWCG please let me know. I have been maintaining my hot tub for almost 6 years now, but I feel there is a big difference between that and a 17,000 gallon pool!!!

Attachments

• A6B6F56E-236F-4BFB-925C-CB3609A2E5EF.jpeg
    A6B6F56E-236F-4BFB-925C-CB3609A2E5EF.jpeg
    457.5 KB · Views: 9
  • 09AC8E39-19EF-4D6B-801B-4D69B24833D7.jpeg
    09AC8E39-19EF-4D6B-801B-4D69B24833D7.jpeg
    561.9 KB · Views: 9
Okay so let me get this straight. I plumbed in my RJ30+. My pool is finishing filling now. Order of operations from here.
1. Check water chemistry and adjust to get it right.
2. Dump in salt and turn on pump.
3. Recheck chemistry and adjust as necessary once salt is dissolved.
4. Turn on SWCG

Or do I skip 1 then go to 2,3, and 4?

Hi froggy - the steps you have listed are good and the way I would go. Testing the fill you verify ph, TA and CH starting levels.

For the salt depending on which type you get you may have to brush it around some to get it to dissolve better. I have heard people say they dump and go, but I don't like to leave it sitting on the liner.

Manually keep your FC up while you wait for the salt to dissolve. Then before you turn on the SWG dose to get to the SWG recommended level for the CYA level you are running.

Reactions: Newdude
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.