Lights in pool

JeremyKC

Apr 25, 2019
Blue Springs, MO
Hello,
We moved into this house 5 years ago. 20k gallon liner pool. Not sure how old the liner is. There were two lights below the water line that I can see, which were covered over when they installed the liner the last time. I think they are 6 to 8 inches in diameter. My wife is begging me to have someone out to see if we can get the lights working again but I would guess it will take all new wiring and possibly new lights. I have looked and looked for something battery powered but have found nothing.
Would it be possible to install new lights where those are and possibly run new wiring to the power source and a switch? Is this something a DIYer could tackle?

Welcome to TFP.

You have the potential for ruining your liner once you start the project. And I think you will need to cut into the liner to discover what size niche you have and what light can fit.

What type fo deck do you have? Can you dig into the back of the pool wall where the light is to try and see the niche? You also have to find where the conduit runs for the wire from the light niche to a light junction box and then your electrical panel.

@jimmythegreek what do you think about cutting a 5 year old liner to install lights assuming he can figure out the right size light for the niche in the pool?

Not a DIY job at all. Camt really be done now. They probably concreted the niche you would be lucky if they just sheet metaled over it. If you have enough returns you could steal one for now and do a nicheless and give it back when it's time to do a liner and you can investigate further

The lights stick out so they are not there. If the niche was empty the liner would push into the niche with water weight. Something is covering it somehow. Either way its gotta be done with liner out unless you have a piece of the liner big enough and dont mind patching a big piece if it doesnt go well

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.