Florida
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
I have an 11500 gal plaster pool with SWG.

I had a leak last summer around my pool niche that was fixed with epoxy. Hurricane Ian and the high volume influx seems to have aggravated this- I am losing about a 1/4 inch per day. A local leak detection company came to eval today and state a crack has now formed around the niche that is too large for an epoxy fix. They are quoting $925 to drain to light, remove epoxy, apply Plast-Aid, Fiberglas and resin and appropriate sanding, vs the suggestion to replace the niche altogether (quoting $2975 for this option, but they do not offer it and would be outsourcing it).

Is there a correct answer, repair vs replacement? I am betting I could call around to get a better price on niche replacement by cutting out the middle man, but I want to make the best long term choice rather than the cheaper immediate choice if it comes with more headaches

I have an 11500 gal plaster pool with SWG.

I had a leak last summer around my pool niche that was fixed with epoxy. Hurricane Ian and the high volume influx seems to have aggravated this- I am losing about a 1/4 inch per day. A local leak detection company came to eval today and state a crack has now formed around the niche that is too large for an epoxy fix. They are quoting $925 to drain to light, remove epoxy, apply Plast-Aid, Fiberglas and resin and appropriate sanding, vs the suggestion to replace the niche altogether (quoting $2975 for this option, but they do not offer it and would be outsourcing it).

Is there a correct answer, repair vs replacement? I am betting I could call around to get a better price on niche replacement by cutting out the middle man, but I want to make the best long term choice rather than the cheaper immediate choice if it comes with more headaches
Depends how long you want it to last.

Depends how long you want it to last.
Last diagnosis/repair was $475. This time was $400 without repair. I could have paid for their proposed repair with the two service calls thus far, so at least that much makes sense. But what is the life expectancy on one vs the other? They quote a 6mo prorated warranty if I go with the cheaper option, but I am not really wanting to continue to prolong the pain of a replacement if that is what is really the better option

Last diagnosis/repair was $475. This time was $400 without repair. I could have paid for their proposed repair with the two service calls thus far, so at least that much makes sense. But what is the life expectancy on one vs the other? They quote a 6mo prorated warranty if I go with the cheaper option, but I am not really wanting to continue to prolong the pain of a replacement if that is what is really the better option
If the fixture is rusted out or damaged then I wouldn’t be to confident on repairing it. So I suppose it depends on why it failed. If I were selling the house I might take a chance on the cheaper repair.

Reactions: rdthedo
Like most niche leaks, either the soil around the conduit has settled and broke off the conduit from the niche or the brazed on nut on the niche that the conduit threads into has fallen off. Packing epoxy around is the cheap/easy fix. Short of replacing the niche a bulkhead fitting can be installed if the nut on the niche has fallen off. It does require digging and redoing some of the conduit, but it do last longer than epoxy. Just make sure the bulkhead fitting does not stick into the niche to far that it prevents the light from being installed. If you go down the road of replacing the niche, the brazed on nut will fall off in time. I did the epoxy, then bulkhead, then replaced the niche when I had the liner replaced. I did have the factory nut cut off the niche and had a 3/4 NPT stainless steel pipe coupling TIG welded on with SS filler wire.

Also if you do dig, compact the soil well and back fill with stone or material that will not settle and is easy to compact. I used type 57 stone (3/4 crushed bluestone).

If it's just a small hole/gap that's developed, not sure why a repair won't fix it. If the niche is falling apart (corroded/cracked, etc) then a repair probably won't last and a replacement is on order. Of course either "fix" is totally dependent on the competence of the repair person (which is an iffy proposition, especially if its outsourced to the local village idiot).

I wound up opting for repair, crossing fingers it holds. Plan will be to change the niche out when due for resurface within the next few years if it holds

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.