Light for Above Ground Intex Pool

Mar 14, 2018
East Northport, NY
Hi! Looking for recommendations for a light (color-changing, if possible) for my Intex pool. We've had the Intex magnetic light the past 2 years and were really happy with it. Can't complain that it decided to die this year, considering it was only $20. However, thanks to covid I assume, the same light now sells for over $150! Seems all the above ground pool magnetic lights online get very mixed reviews. Any recommendations for something that has worked well for you? Thanks!

I have this light which attaches to the return jet and has a remote with several light functions. It literally took about 5 minutes to install with no modifications and works great. They also make one that attaches to the skimmer plate but requires a hole drilled into the skimmer to route the wire through.

Champlain LED Pool Return Light

I purchased the InnovaLite Solar wall light for my pool in 2019 (3 years ago). It is still working well. My previous (2) Nitelighter Multicolor lights never made it past a single season.
I was concerned with the long winters, how the battery would tolerate months without light. Fortunately, it appears to be doing very well and the lamp itself shows no signs of water intrusion.

It isn't as bright as the halogen lights were in the Nitelighter however, it still illuminates our pool well enough to enjoy late into the evening.
1623860235483.png
There is a magnet built into the back to help hold the light against the wall. Unlike the Nitelighter, the only space I need between the pool wall and the top rail is enough to fit the (2) straps (~⅛").
The cord between the solar panel/power switch and light, is long enough for me to run it several feet under my pool top rail and up the deck railing to where the panel is mounted.

Best of luck in finding something that works for you.

• Love
Reactions: Mdragger88
I have the skimmer plate one - I haven’t drilled the hole in my skimmer for it yet though. It only fits on wide mouth skimmers. Not sure if u have one of those.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have this light which attaches to the return jet and has a remote with several light functions. It literally took about 5 minutes to install with no modifications and works great. They also make one that attaches to the skimmer plate but requires a hole drilled into the skimmer to route the wire through.

Champlain LED Pool Return Light
I have one just like yours sounds like. I’ve never used it. I don’t go out in my yard at night. Snakies. I can’t hear well enough to know if I’m being rattled at. Lol.

I have some garden fencing and rope lighting hing from that around my patio. They are on a sensor so turn on at dusk off at dawn. Those lights are quite bright. Also have a few tiki torches for ambience lighting as well. At dark my rope lights are quite bright. If you go to a menards or home depot type store, you could probably find some simple fencing and rope lighting and an outdoor lighting sensor outlet box that you like and put thoat around your pool for lighting. They glow bright enough that they shine in my bedroom window and its too bright to sleep so i think theyd work well for swimming at night, plus give added benefit of lighting outside the pool so you dont trip on anything iutside of the pool as well. I will try to get an evening or night picture for you also to give you better idea what it looks like.

Attachments

• 20210620_155116.jpg
    20210620_155116.jpg
    570.5 KB · Views: 19
  • 20210620_155112.jpg
    20210620_155112.jpg
    484.9 KB · Views: 19
Can you share a picture please? I wanted to do this and got discouraged last year. I still have them in my closet! 🤞🏻
Half the string died a couple of nights ago, so I have to replace them. Got a new string for $15 from Amazon, should be here today.

However, here's an old pic from 2 years ago.

This time the string is long enough that I won't need to use zip ties, I can just wrap them around the top rail. My pool's circumference is 50 feet, the new string is 77 feet.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.