Light Blue, Cloudy Water

Hello- I am new to the forum and obviously pools. Don't ask- but we are just getting our pool open now. All the basics are done (leaves out, vacuumed, and even used 5 gallons of shock and PH Rise) Life got in the way so the water got nice and green. Here's where we are today- vacuumed and scrubbed the pool yesterday afternoon. Added 2 gallons of shock yesterday in addition to the 4 gallons added over the weekend, ran the pump all day, added 6 ounces of PoolMate Algae Rid, ran the pump for 5 hours.

This morning I tested everything- FC= 5.0; CC= .4; CH= 90; TA= 110; CYA=~35 (started to turn at 40 but added another drop for stronger color at 30); and PH= 7.4.

Pool was medium green 2 days ago- now it is light blue and cloudy.

Pool Stats:
Vinyl, in ground, ~14,500 gallons, Hayward Pro Series Sand Filter (new sand 7/16), pump is Hayward Super, self priming, 1.5 hp; pool is 3' - 5' deep.

I am running out to Walmart to get some bleach now. I do have some DE but have not added any. The pool seems a little more cloudy after I vacuumed yesterday. I can see maybe 3 feet.

I told my husband we need to run the pump 24/7 and he said get more shock. Since we obviously are not the experts, and the local pool store initially was leading me down a $$ path.... I now have the time to spend on getting this pool open!

Help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

What test kit are you using? I am not aware of any that use drops to test CYA.
Are you following the SLAM Process process? It kind of reads like you are just arbitrarily dumping in bleach, which is not what we teach.

Please fill out your signature with your pool details.

Hello- I am new to the forum and obviously pools. Don't ask- but we are just getting our pool open now. All the basics are done (leaves out, vacuumed, and even used 5 gallons of shock and PH Rise) Life got in the way so the water got nice and green. Here's where we are today- vacuumed and scrubbed the pool yesterday afternoon. Added 2 gallons of shock yesterday in addition to the 4 gallons added over the weekend, ran the pump all day, added 6 ounces of PoolMate Algae Rid, ran the pump for 5 hours.

This morning I tested everything- FC= 5.0; CC= .4; CH= 90; TA= 110; CYA=~35 (started to turn at 40 but added another drop for stronger color at 30); and PH= 7.4.

Pool was medium green 2 days ago- now it is light blue and cloudy.

Pool Stats:
Vinyl, in ground, ~14,500 gallons, Hayward Pro Series Sand Filter (new sand 7/16), pump is Hayward Super, self priming, 1.5 hp; pool is 3' - 5' deep.

I am running out to Walmart to get some bleach now. I do have some DE but have not added any. The pool seems a little more cloudy after I vacuumed yesterday. I can see maybe 3 feet.

I told my husband we need to run the pump 24/7 and he said get more shock. Since we obviously are not the experts, and the local pool store initially was leading me down a $$ path.... I now have the time to spend on getting this pool open!

Help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Welcome to the Forum!

As requested, please let us know which test kit you are using as I also have never seen a CYA test that involves color matching.

In your 14,500 gallon pool, to add 1ppm to FC you will need:
21oz of 8.25% (laundry) bleach (aka liquid chlorine)
or
19oz of 10% bleach (aka liquid chlorine)
or
15oz of 12.5% bleach (aka liquid chlorine)

With a CYA of 40ppm, your FC shock level is 16ppm, and that FC level needs to be held for the duration of the SLAM.

[FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]

Thanks for the welcome. My mistake about drops for the CYA test... the black dot was pretty occluded at 40 but I added more water just to be sure it was invisible at 30. I kept forgetting to keep it at waist level when reading. I have the Taylor K-2006 Complete kit.

Well, my husband is not the "chemist", I am now the designated pool girl. So I sort of jumped in yesterday to try to get this thing corrected. Last year was our first year with a new liner and we were so excited to open our pool early (May). We did a great job but then the gypsy moths invaded our area and I was covered with rash all over, cleaning them out of the pool. This year we waited until they were in the moth stage (early July) before we opened the pool and life just got in the way. That's when my husband bought the initial 5 gallons of shock and some ph rise at the local pool store based on a water sample he brought them. Hence, here we are today. I am trying to learn and read as I go, perhaps not the best of plans.

Welcome to the Forum the place to get your answers. The best guidance here is stay away from the pool store and do your own measurements.

Please update your signature with the appropriate details of your pool, equipment, test kit etc. This really helps those that want to help you.

Provide a complete set of numbers:
FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA

Note: Bleach will have a made on date of yy-xxx. yy=year; xxx=day of year. Get as fresh as you can as it will degrade over time and/or exposure to sun or heat. Many use Walmart brand because it is usually quite fresh due to high volumes.

Going from Green to clear normally involves the SLAM process.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.