Levels Good But Cloudy and Consuming Chlorine

Uncle Rico's Pool

Sep 6, 2019
Wichita, Ks
Good morning. Would appreciate everyone’s insight here. Over the last few days temps have jumped up to 95 plus. We have also been swimming several hours most evenings because of this. I’m assuming this puts a much higher load on the chlorine and may explain at least part of this. At the same time, I had to switch to bleach (So White from Atwood’s) several days ago because they where out of the liquid chlorine I normally purchase.
The bottle does not state the percentage of chlorine, but I found a random data sheet online from the EPA that compares several brands and states it is 5.25%. Does anyone else have experience with it? Over the last couple of days I’ve added as much as 7ppm in a day. The water is also cloudy. This seems like a lot, but this is my first summer having the pool and swimming this much (family of six). The water is also cloudy. Since switching to TFP, I am used to water that I can barely tell is in the pool. I can still see the bottom now, but something seems off.
Lastly, I recently added more stabilizer but per the test it still seems around 30. I have added enough this year to be at 45 if I started at 0. Test at open showed close to 0.
OCLT showed .5 drop in FC and .5CC

My questions:
Do high temps and bather load explain adding 7ppm a day or is this extreme?

Has anyone seen a type of bleach (So White) or stabilizer (Clorox) impact clarity)?

When I test my CYA I am adding until I cannot make out ANY of the dot. Is this correct? I say some say “obscure the black dot” which would be very different. Im considering... going to the pool store to check CYA so I can be sure...I know...

Can filter run time impact water clarity? I have a sand filter with a glass bead in it. Running for 5hrs a day. Do I need to up this now that the heat is here?

I am going to test my monthly levels and will add (show up in my signature in a few minutes).
Thanks!!

The info I can find says that bleach does not have additives. Do the bottles you have say splashless, scented, etc? The data also shows it is 5.25%
What is your CYA? Your test. You should be at 40 or 50 ppm right now.
That much FC use if you have a heavy bather load is not unusual. Add an additional 5 ppm FC before any unusual bather load day.

I would suggest you raise your FC to 20% of CYA. See how the pool looks tomorrow.

If you have extra debris in the pool, a longer pump run time may help.

Thanks! My last CYA reading was 30 which didn’t make much since to me as I have added 7.75lbs since opening. Granted, I did have to drain a couple times due to rain. I am very cautious to add as last summer when I bought the house it was almost 200 and had to drain several times. I am going to check myself with a pool store reading tomorrow. To make sure... sun behind me and add till I can’t make out any image of the black dot at all correct?

Sun behind you, add to first line, GLANCE not stare. Still see dot? Add to second line, GLANCE not stare. And so on.

Don‘t bother with pool store CYA test... who is to say if theirs is right?

Do not bother with a pool store test. To be honest, we will not even recognize a test from them. Test it yourself, we trust that. As you stated.

You have Menards in Wichita. They typically carry a good supply of 12.5%. Check them out.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.