Leveling - help

Sugarme said:
We are wetting the whole area the same. I'm thinking the area around the pavers are sinking because they dug out to put the pavers. I'm not really sure but I will keep compacting the dirt around it tonight and tomorrow. Hopefully I should be okay. I was also thinking of puting rocks around the pool when I'm done. I seen a couple of pictures here that people do that. Wondering if that would keep the ground by the pavers a bit dry. Last time I had the pool up. The kids were splashing so much water everywhere that the poles started sinking. That's when we took the pool down.

I will get that plate compactor hopefully tomorrow but I had a question. If the soil around the pavers is my problem can I use the compactor to go over the pavers?

Stoning the ground around with pool will help. We used to do that when we were digging foundations for buildings and the weather called for heavy rains and we were not ready to pour. Instead of letting it rain then having to muck out the bottom of the trenches (somtimes by hand if they were in the middle of the building now) it was a lot cheaper and easier to call in a couple of tons of clean crushed stone and use it to hold to bottom.

A quick tutorial on how soil compaction works. Soil will compact the most at a certain specific moisture content. If you try to compact it when it is too dry, it will further subside under load if it gets wet. If you compact it when it is too wet, as it dries under load it will compact more.

If you compact it at the ideal moisture content, and then it gets wet later, that is not a problem - unless it has irregular loadings on it. Then it begins "pumping". As you walk around on it, it will actualy beging to expand and get as others have said "squishy" as water begins to work its way into it void spaces (really it becomes plastic, if there is any sigfinicant clay in it)

The pavers under the legs serve to spread the load. Without getting into the details of it, a spread footing behaves differently than a point load. 25 lbs over 25 square inches behaves differently than 1 lb on 1 square inch. Putting pavers under your legs will decrease your psi and also give the benefit of a spread footing (at least for pool loadings)

You can try running the compactor over the pavers. You will get a better result by taking the pavers up first. But unless you have some very uncompacted soil there, running it over the pavers should work. If you have any big (fist sized lets say) rocks under the pavers you may crack one by running the plate over it.

-dave

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.