Let's talk decking

Spray deck appears to be a regional company that does textured vinyl overlays. We have several here in AZ. X-Cel Surfaces is the one I used. A good installer can use this product to make a concrete deck look like any surface you want. Brick, travertine, bluestone, flagstone, pavers, it's all a mater of the skill of the installer. Here are some examples.

DEV Xcel Surfaces Gallery

I have my pool deck in Spanish Lace. That is the standard finish you are referring to as spray deck. My patio and driveway are done also, but in one of the fancier troweled patterns. The nice thing about the standard one color finish is it holds up well. Mine is a medium light color that the company here (X-Cel Surfaces) calls Sonoran Sand. My deck is over ten years old and had no stains, but the color was a bit faded. One 5 gal bucket of vinyl color top coat from X-Cel and a day's work with a paint roller and it now looks like the day it was installed.

I made a conscious decision to avoid all natural stone and use textured vinyl over concrete, since my design was for a salt pool. No stone anywhere, so no worry about it eroding.

While we are talking decking.....can you folks share some input on how many sf of deck you have?

I asked before in another thread but I am almost at the decking stage now and would love some further input/pictures that demonstrate exactly how many sf of deck you have.

Pool is going to be 22 x 38 free form

I'm thinking a minimum of 4' on 3 sides and then coming back to the house with 12-15 feet for table, chairs, grill etc.

While we are talking decking.....can you folks share some input on how many sf of deck you have?

I asked before in another thread but I am almost at the decking stage now and would love some further input/pictures that demonstrate exactly how many sf of deck you have.
Pool is going to be 22 x 38 free form

I'm thinking a minimum of 4' on 3 sides and then coming back to the house with 12-15 feet for table, chairs, grill etc.

Since this is a change of topic, I suggest you start a separate thread. Maybe "how much deck is enough". The mods here really frown on thread jacking, and you will also get more specific and better response that way.

It seems like the person who opens the thread can change topics, because they own the htread, but side conversations or any topic shift by others is verboten.

On the travertine price, I can't say enough about Travertine Mart. Awesome price / product.
I just checked prices at Travertine Mart, as an exercise ... for a 1000 sqft of 'French Pattern Marbled travertine' that is very similar to what we got, the cost breakdown is $4.98 + $2.50 shipping (total $7500 for 1000 sqft shipped). They also tack on a 'lift gate service' fee to unload the stone. Not sure how much that is.
So, at least here, in AZ, it is much cheaper to get it done with the PB ($10 approx installed) and he gets the stone, the ABC, Sand and Polymeric grout...labor included!
I think installing travertine is a tough job. The guys really worked hard to do it... even did circular 'lids' ..

Sample here..

afUxVgD.jpg

we have stamped concrete. Personally, I love it, there is texture sprayed into ours so it is not slippery at all. However, we went with a dark gray so the two days so far this summer in the high 90's it was hot to walk on! The rest of the summer has been great, but if you anticipate hot days, don't do it!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
we have stamped concrete. Personally, I love it, there is texture sprayed into ours so it is not slippery at all. However, we went with a dark gray so the two days so far this summer in the high 90's it was hot to walk on! The rest of the summer has been great, but if you anticipate hot days, don't do it!

Yeah, I'm in Dallas so it's hot here. Don't want burns on my feet or my kids feet.

Looking at these choices too and had a PB bring up the overlays that can be made to look like any other finish. Watched some YouTube videos on how it's done. Looks a lot like stamped concrete but should be a lot less expensive since it's a lot less labor intensive I think. What did you end up going with Amanda? How is it working for you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here is the crazy thing is we have belgard pavers in the lightest color. I could stand on the samples for extended periods while they were on my driveway in 100+ degree heat. They are now installed in my back yard and my daughter was out there barefoot yesterday and it was about 95 and she said it wasn't hot. I'll know more next year I am sure but I am surprised they aren't that hot.

Here is the crazy thing is we have belgard pavers in the lightest color. I could stand on the samples for extended periods while they were on my driveway in 100+ degree heat. They are now installed in my back yard and my daughter was out there barefoot yesterday and it was about 95 and she said it wasn't hot. I'll know more next year I am sure but I am surprised they aren't that hot.

Thanks for this info. We are really leaning towards pavers.

Thanks for this info. We are really leaning towards pavers.

I have seen where some have said the pavers were really hot. I think it depends on the brand of paver, what they are made of, and what color they are. Mine are working out well so far. I'll know more when we are actually spending time around the pool. Right now I am only down there looking for issues and checking out the build progress so not as much as if I could be swimming :)

I have seen where some have said the pavers were really hot. I think it depends on the brand of paver, what they are made of, and what color they are. Mine are working out well so far. I'll know more when we are actually spending time around the pool. Right now I am only down there looking for issues and checking out the build progress so not as much as if I could be swimming :)

Thanks, some of us locals were discussing the colors of pavers in another thread and to do pavers here they would have to be very light colored. I have a sample in my backyard right now that is staying about the same temp as my current patio.

This!
There is not much difference in pricing between Kool Deck and Travertine. We are putting in travertine and it is amazingly cool(er) in the AZ heat (110+). Can walk barefoot for 20-30 feet with no issues.. We also have 'Phoenix' (Belgard brand) pavers on the side of the house where I can't put my foot on.. it'll probably melt my sole if I walk even 5 ft!

I think it must be more expensive in some areas. We're near Houston and had spray deck in our proposal. I thought travertine was expensive so I asked how much just to do some travertine laterals. Nearly $3,500 just for 139 sq ft. Does that sound right?

Yes, it's supposed to be cooler, but I've never talked to anyone who has done it. We pick the colors they use on installation day. I think it'll look nice and hopefully be cool on feet and not slippery.

Flounder, how did your deck come out?! I wanted this option or stenciled spray deck but it looks like it's not so commonly offered... At least not yet.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.