Lets talk about copper.

Human

Silver Supporter
Aug 8, 2018
Oklahoma City, OK
Ok guys I need help, and need to know what I should do next. I have been testing my fill water with my TF-100 kit and wanted to get my fill water tested for metals. I don't know why I had that bright idea, but if some could slap me it would be great lol.

Anyways I went to Leslie's pools and had them test my water and they did and told me my copper was at .4, and I needed to buy Natural Chemistry Metal Free. I know for sure my house has copper lines, and the water I have been testing is from my back yard spigot which is the the end of the line for my house plumbing. So I thought I would test the water from the front Spigot, which is the beginning of the plumbing for my house. So I did, and it came up a .2 .

I wanted to get it tested at one more store, so we found another place that could test for copper, he took my water sample and acted like it was a waste of time to test for it, and told me it had 0 copper in it and then told me copper does not even matter, but if I was worried about metals he could sell me some gadget that was 150 bucks and every year I needed to buy a new filter for it that they only sold for 75 bucks. (The guy was rude and just kept on asking why I was worried about copper, and copper does not matter, so I kinda took his test with a grain of salt)

Now this is where life starts to hate me lol. I got the bright idea to see if I could find something to test my water for copper. So I picked up a LaMotte 3619 cooper test, and my buddy brought me something he uses for his fish tank from API that tests copper. I'm sure you know what I'm going to tell you next lol, both came up as 0, and now I'm so lost its unreal. Please tell me what I need to do next lol.

I'm using Oklahoma City public water
Test I used
( https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006JDWH8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 )
( LaMotte 3619 Individual Copper Test Kit: Science Lab Supplies: Amazon.com: Industrial Scientific )

Unless you have added copper algaecide or have a copper ionizer, you probably don't have enough copper to worry about.

Don't use calcium hypochlorite or sodium carbonate and you should be fine.

I would bet that 90% of houses 10 years or older have copper water lines. Just running water through copper pipe is not going to leach problematic levels of copper into the pool. The water has to be very aggressive to degrade the copper and that is not a common problem even in poorly maintained pools. Since you have your own testing I would trust it and not worry about copper.

You have the exact same kit I have. And, you bought it from the same place. I intentionally added about .2 ppm worth of a copper-based algaecide (which worked very well, BTW). And, guess what the LaMotte 3619 said I had in my water? .2 ppm. Spot on. So, IMHO, that test kit is very accurate. And, if it says you have 0. I would believe it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.