Let the wild rumpus start! (new Houston build underway)

Thank you, scdaren! Last question... PB was here mid-week. He turned the SWG back on and poured a bunch of salt in the pool. Didn't know he was going to do that b/c he had turned over water maintenance to us. Now that we have a pool full of salt, do we need to run the SWG for a time or turn it off and continue treating it like regular chlorine pool?

I don't know much about swg, so maybe someone else can chime in. But my understanding is they don't run in cold weather. Nothing wrong with having salt in the pool, but I don't think the swg will generate much if any chlorine from it, so you'll use liquid. Or in your case I would use pucks for the cya and acid that comes with them. Just get yourself one of those floaters, do not put them in a skimmer basket. And keep an eye on that cya to make sure you don't add too much. And watch the pH, you may still need to add some acid. The new pebble will push the pH up. I'm at 10 months and mine seems to be finally starting to stabilize. I found that a TA level of 70 helped keep it a lot more stable and my CSI at a good level.

THANKS Daren!

All of what he said.

Now lets talk about you daily pool care and adding chemicals.

SWG-if your pool temp is on the burr side (some 60 or below, some 50 or below) your SWG will not not work. So you need to treat your pool as a chlorine pool now and in the burr times of upcoming years.

Adding chemicals-Adding chlorine and muratic acid should not be done at the same time-always have the pump running and pour them about 30 mins apart. They should also not be stored by each other. They do not play well together. The fumes can mix and cause a toxic cloud. I store my m.a. outside away from metal as it's fumes can cause metal to rust.

Everything else can be added at the same time without any danger. CYA should be added using pucks in the floaters (can be bought at Walmart far cheaper than the pool store). If you add it using the power you should put it in a sock (like you wear) and hang it in front of a return. You can hang it off of a broom handle so it does not touch the wall (it is an mild acid and could bleach out the plaster). We don't like to pour it into the skimmer as it could cause problems in the filter.

I think that covers it all. Let me know if I missed something :hug:

Kim:kim:

Our PebbleTec sub came by this week to check out the discoloration. He said it’s a calcium carbonate build-up, and he said he’s seeing a lot of it lately. He said we should drop our pH into the 7-7.2 range for the foreseeable future and start using a sequestering agent. If it’s still a problem in spring, they said they could either spot treat or drain and wash with acid. Love that the pool is done but frustrated that we’re running into finish issues from the get go.

Sharp looking site update.

BOO HISS!! Sad to hear this happened so fast :( Interesting he said they have seen a lot of that as of late...........hummmm wonder who is doing or not doing something???

BOO HISS!! Sad to hear this happened so fast :( Interesting he said they have seen a lot of that as of late...........hummmm wonder who is doing or not doing something???

Based on what I’ve read, I think it was probably the start up ?

Greetings, lovely people. I've just logged on after a bit of a hiatus and realized that there were several messages that I hadn't responded to. I thought it might be helpful to add an update 2 years out for those that may be looking at this thread in the same way that I looked at other threads while I was working on our pool.

OB vs PB
While we were initially planning on a OB build, I think going with a BP was a good call for us. Finding someone that was willing to work closely with us on the design and to do it at a reasonable price (not always easy within the city of Houston) helped us make the decision. Though our PB could not sign off on the engineering evaluation that we needed for permitting (due to proximity to house and soil type), we were able to find someone who could.

Surfaces
At the last minute (quite literally) we chose PebbleSheen over PebbleFina. We did have to get the pool drained and acid washed under warranty b/c of some allover scaling issue with no obvious cause, we've been happy with it. A scratched toe here and there, but overall quite good. And I think the color/stones don't show occasional dirt/leaves like a light surface would have. While I really like a few of the glass tiles, I'm ok with the stone look 4x4s that we chose. They blend well with the travertine coping and the PS surface. Less maintenance, too. I have only had to sweep them two or three times a year when the pollen is high. We're happy with the travertine coping and patio. We haven't had any issues with it being too hot to walk on in the Texas sun, and it's holding up just fine with the SWG. There are some spots on the patio that get a bit of growth on them, and we'll probably need to touch up some grout/sand, but overall, a good choice for us.

Landscaping
Speaking of leaves... Being able to keep a large tree in our yard was pretty important to me during the build, but we ultimately had it taken down because of the proximity to the pool and concern about damage to the gunite and pipes. We really miss the shade on the patio, but it hasn't had a huge effect on the water temp. We have yet to use the cooling function on our heat pump.

Equipment
Overall, we're really happy with the equipment choices that we went with, even with the issues that have come up. With the mild winters in Houston, the heat pump has been a good call for us. We paid extra for the larger unit with the chiller function, but as I mentioned, we haven't needed it yet. (The wet suite, which my husband bought me as a Christmas present, helps too when I want to 'go for a pool run' in the winter with the heat pump.) We did have to use the warranty for our IC, which stopped working. It was really helpful to have registered our equipment on the Pentair site and to keep track of where we got what. There were several hoops to jump through - submitting purchase info, installation info from PB, water tests from pool store (they would not accept our test), and treating the pool for phosphates to rule that out as the cause - it was replaced. Way better than dealing with tablets. On the other hand, working with Doheney to get a part replaced for the vacuum was incredibly easy. Great product, too. At some point, we need to replace our spa light, which stopped changing color after two years. Luckily, by going with the PC LED bulbs should make that a less expensive fix. Though not cheap, adding the Fastlane to our pool has been one of the smarter things that we did. Since our pool is not large, having the FL current for aqua jogging, the kids, and swimming (in that order) was huge. We've been using the zinc anodes and (knock on wood - and I'm going to be really frustrated if I jinx myself with this post) we haven't had issues. My husband wound up getting me the app for Christmas, which allows you to have more control over speed and settings, but since I using jog with it at the low speed, the remote works just fine.

Now, I just need to figure out why our pH keeps going up and replace all of the vegetation that was decimated in the Great Polar Vortex of 2021 (pics taken last season). Hope you're all well. Thank you again for sharing your experiences.
pool 1.jpgpool 2.jpg

I love the plantings near the pool! I'm going to try to accomplish that with separate planters rather than built in, but I love that look. And I love the color of your pool - we were considering Prism Blue and Blue Granite and hadn't even thought of Aqua Blue, but now I'm wondering! Ours is similar dimensions (12x31). Unfortunately, I have 2 different samples labeled "Aqua Blue" and they don't look the same! And I saw a Prism Blue pool that looked just like your pool color. So confusing. How deep is your pool?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.