Let the games begin...

He's 5'10", and only 14.. I'm 6'2", so I expect him to be somewhere around there when its all said and done. Their mom is a whopping 5'3", so he's been well over her head for over a year now. Crazy.

Food? Don't get me started. He made himself a sandwich and chips for lunch, then I heard the microwave going shortly after. "I'm still hungry" he says. I walk back into the kitchen to see two sandwiches, with additional meat and cheese between the two sandwiches, stacked and heated up (poorly) so the cheese melted. So, I guess 3 sandwiches plus chips for lunch?.

• Wow
Reactions: kimkats
Day 8 update.

Gas line has been run from the existing meter. Will have to get counterpoint (gas provider) to upgrade our meter once we begin filling the pool with water. Working out a side deal with the plumber to bury an addition gas line, block valve and regulator for me that will be for a fire pit I intend on building this fall.

Tile is a bit more than 90% complete at this stage. They got almost all of the travertine set yesterday, and today is some detail work, grouting, and setting the spillway travertine in place. It looks REALLY good. These guys do clean work from my perspective. It was hot as hades yesterday and they were non stop. 105+ index all week long, with minimal cloud cover. Kept the cooler stocked with water, but ran out of gatorade so I'll grab some more today. I'm trying to sneak some travertine from the crew (90% sure I paid for every sq ft wether they use it or not) for a fire pit. Their crew lead said he'd leave anything he could for me, today. Lots of potential amongst the scraps too, if I can decide how to use 1-1.5" strips 12" long. Possibly build the top out of it, and use some builder grade split face on the sides to match the pool real well. I've got some of the 1x1 pieces as well, that I can toss in as accents.

Electrical should start tomorrow, then I think next round of inspections are scheduled for first thing Friday morning.

It seems ridiculously fast paced from my perspective. Having a heart to heart with our project manager this afternoon. He completely ignored my messages about the inlet piping for the pump not being anywhere close to what the manufacturer recommendations were. When I mentioned the tile looked good, and asked for a heads up on what the next phases were, I just got "electrical in a day, inspections after. thx". I may be thinking too much, but I'm not really cool with that. Working shift work means I have to make sure I can accommodate what they need, not to mention its ME spending MY money for MY pool, so I'm certainly entitled to updates and notice when people will be at MY house while my kids are home and all that good stuff... I digress.

TFTest kit is en route, and should be here Friday. I've reached out to the maytronics dealer recommended, but haven't heard back yet. May give them a call if an email reply doesn't happen sooner than later. Want to figure out which robot they'll recommend for our set up so I can lock that in my budget.

Fun side note: When I got home from the night shift, the house was 80, and found our main compressor locked up. Not bad for a 2 year old piece of equipment. Made for a sweaty morning's sleep. A/C guy is a close friend so he'll be here this afternoon to get me sorted out.

Attachments

• IMG_1999.jpg
    IMG_1999.jpg
    729.5 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_2002.jpg
    IMG_2002.jpg
    639 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_2008.jpg
    IMG_2008.jpg
    766.6 KB · Views: 64
That rolled edge DOES look good! Very clean and straight!

The stuff in your yard WAS paid for by your wallet. I would be heading out there to pick up any usable stone and such. Put it away for your use on your fire pit.

Nice to have an AC guy as a good friend! Hope he is there already! I am hoping you left out a number when you wrote 2 yrs old for your AC!

Kim:kim:

Well, There was a typo but it wasn't a missing digit. Its 3 years old, not 2 years old. We built the house in 2016, and the AC was installed 05/16. Just a capacitor, but it definitely overheated our compressor fan. Have a temporary (undersized) capacitor on it until he comes back with the correctly sized part today around lunch time. Definitely a great friend to have!

We picked up every usable piece, and he left us several full size pieces of travertine, about a dozen pieces of the waterline tile and a couple sheets worth of the 1x1. I think we'll be in good shape to build the fire pit. TFTest kit also showed up yesterday with the whale brush, thermometer, etc. I'll play around with that and the kids this weekend and we'll start testing our fill water and learn the process.

Here are the updates. Tile and grout are complete, including the step markings, and in my opinion it looks fantastic. These guys took their time on the details, and I think my wife's vision is coming to fruition. Subtle and classy, without going monotone. Allow the water to be the focal point, or "pop', in a visual sense. Everything around the water is the supporting cast, if you will. The spill way, the skimmers, the rolled edge... It all looks great. Now hopefully I can get an update on the next phase, which I believe is electrical, then all of the sub inspections.

Attachments

• IMG_2015.jpg
    IMG_2015.jpg
    568.4 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_2016.jpg
    IMG_2016.jpg
    844.9 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_2017.jpg
    IMG_2017.jpg
    954.2 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_2018.jpg
    IMG_2018.jpg
    822.2 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_2019.jpg
    IMG_2019.jpg
    644.7 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_2020.jpg
    IMG_2020.jpg
    640.1 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_2021.jpg
    IMG_2021.jpg
    826.5 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_2022.jpg
    IMG_2022.jpg
    890 KB · Views: 76

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well, small (not really) update.. Progress keeps right on trucking along. Decking is framed out with rebar. Electrical work and bonding are complete. Inspection for both takes place in the AM.
Builder messed up and sent me the EasyTouch remote instead of the screen logic that was requested, so I've emailed about that.

Any recommendations on where to drop some umbrella sleeves in the decking? I was told simply place 2-3 stakes wherever we wanted them. Tough to envision, but I hadn't considered that type and just assumed I was gonna be purchasing a couple of cantilever umbrellas with bases. Back side of the spa (sun sets on the back of the house, as it faces almost due east) was the only thing that seemed obvious to us, but perhaps one off the tanning ledge, then maybe opposite side where some seating could be arranged by the deep end.

Attachments

• IMG_2060.jpg
    IMG_2060.jpg
    633.4 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_2061.jpg
    IMG_2061.jpg
    879.5 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_2062.jpg
    IMG_2062.jpg
    702.3 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_2065.jpg
    IMG_2065.jpg
    843.8 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_2068.jpg
    IMG_2068.jpg
    673.7 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_2069.jpg
    IMG_2069.jpg
    714.8 KB · Views: 62
Expansion joint foam was installed, channel drain was installed, as well. We placed two umbrella spots where it made sense, and we'll see if we use them or cap them. Time will tell!

Concrete is complete. Only issue is that it was supposed to be brushed, not polished. I've been in training the last three days, so I only have a few brief moments this morning to talk to the foreman and confirmed every detail EXCEPT that one. Not quite sure what I can do about that now, but here we are. We aren't paying for Kool-decking, or any special finish so the plan was for it to be brushed like our existing patio. C'est la vis. Looks REALLY good, nonetheless.

We each discretely wrote our initials and today's date, of course. Slightly etched in, as the basic cure has already happened. Concrete is roughly 8 hours set, at this point.

Attachments

• IMG_2082.jpg
    IMG_2082.jpg
    534.6 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_2084.jpg
    IMG_2084.jpg
    756.7 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_2086.jpg
    IMG_2086.jpg
    691.5 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_2087.jpg
    IMG_2087.jpg
    798.5 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_2088.jpg
    IMG_2088.jpg
    794.3 KB · Views: 66
That looks nice! If the concrete is too slippery you can have them "sand" it to give it more grip. I would NOT use any of the coating/sealers that say they have sand or such to help with grip. It will wear off fast and look bad after a while.

No one else will notice any difference in the two areas once it is all cured and water is in the pool! All they will see if your wonderful pool waiting for them to jump in!!! CANNON BALL!!!

Kim:kim:

Reactions: PlaysARobin
@YippeeSkippy Thats encouraging to hear! I think my main thought process was that it wasn't too slick, first, and matched, second. Time will tell. I intend on doing an acid stain after about a month. Pressure wash it all, then find a nice mild day to make a mess and cross my fingers.

Clean up crew is here now, pressure washing the pool and getting all of the trash out. Plaster scheduled for end of next week, but looks like it could get bumped forward if weather allows. We're technically on day 19, so its not like it would be hurting the schedule if it were delayed even a few days. I almost feel bad at how fast ours is progressing, especially after reading so many other stories where its delay after delay and rework after rework.

This process, and PB hasn't been perfect, by any means, but I really cannot complain. I've had one 'come to Jesus' talk with the project manager, and we were immediately on the same page. He was apologetic, corrected the issues and has been in regular communication since. It really wasn't THAT big of an issue that we had to talk about either! Truly blessed at how this has all progressed.

I really need to get on the ball and test my fill water, and call Margaret back and order my Dolphin. Just have to decide which of the active series I want!

Well, plaster was scheduled for today, but that was canceled. The unorganized storm in the gulf went from showers, to a couple days of rain, to an unorganized cell, to tropical depression to tropical storm from midnight last night to just now.

Likely won’t have plaster until Monday, which is fine. It was break-neck pace anyway.

Hope all my fellow gulf coasters fare well through whatever this brings. We all know too well (as those all along the gulf and east coast) things can change on a dime in unexpected ways.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.