Let the fun begin in La Quinta

I was worried that might be the case. The plan was for the mini split ac condenser to be turned 90 degrees and basically go where the trash can is.

Two options.
Option 1 - Have the compressor moved to the other side of the doorway (just out of the picture) and place the pool controller in line with the trash can.

Option 2 - Stick with the plan of rotating the compressor and placing it where the trash can is and place the pool controller on the other side of the doorway. I am guessing that it would probably be much more practical to have the pool controller right by the pool equipment though...

I was worried that might be the case. The plan was for the mini split ac condenser to be turned 90 degrees and basically go where the trash can is.

Two options.
Option 1 - Have the compressor moved to the other side of the doorway (just out of the picture) and place the pool controller in line with the trash can.

Option 2 - Stick with the plan of rotating the compressor and placing it where the trash can is and place the pool controller on the other side of the doorway. I am guessing that it would probably be much more practical to have the pool controller right by the pool equipment though...
Not really, the automation panels rarely get touched these days. The limiting factor is the power cord for the salt cell since that's the shortest cord.

Do yourself a favor and request they put unions between all the major pieces of equipment. When you have a tight space like yours pipes tend to be joint to joint with very little space between fittings. When a pump needs a new seal you don't want to have to re-plumb the pad just to swap a simple part.

Well it has been a while since I have posted the progress of my build, so I figure it is about time for an update. As it seems with so many pool builds, delays are bound to happen at one phase or another...

Ours was with concrete. We have a raised patio behind the pool and cantilever concrete coping. I thought I had the concrete contractors all set up but last minute they backed out. I was left scrambling to find a new one as I hadn't even researched or bid out other contractors because of the quality and positive feedback about the one I was planning on using. After several bids we selected another contractor who suggested we finish the waterline tile and stone RBB as he wouldn't be available to start on the project for a week. Well then that contractor backed out and everyone else I talked to didn't want to do cantilever coping after the water tile was in which unfortunately was already installed.

Long story but we ended up finding another guy that was willing to do the job. His quality is good but at a bit higher price than either of the first two groups. Such is life, but at least the build is back under way. Step markers and stone work will be finished by Tuesday and Stonescapes mini pebble Caribbean Blue will be installed Thursday.

I received my TF-100 bundle last week. Guess it is time to test my tap water to figure out what supplies I need on hand for the fill.

Thanks for all your help along the way!! We are finally starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel

Attachments

• 2019-08-10 09.53.31 copy.jpg
    2019-08-10 09.53.31 copy.jpg
    761.3 KB · Views: 71
  • Untitled 2 copy 2.jpg
    Untitled 2 copy 2.jpg
    512.3 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_1453.jpg
    IMG_1453.jpg
    503.5 KB · Views: 75

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I promote the Bicarb start-up as the best program over everything else.

I prefer to avoid making comments about specific products or companies. That said, there are some plasterers that use the product "Start-up Tec" and find it generally helpful.

With this pool, the tap water is fairly good for filling new plaster pools. The alkalinity could be raised somewhat to 150 ppm during the filling by adding sodium bicarbonate to help prevent "plaster dust" better.

Last edited:
Your right there is a small amount of chlorine in the water. I figured it would be zero... It tested less than .5 . Since the test bottoms out at .5 I would guess it to be somewhere between .25 and .4.

The plaster company is not requiring the use of the startup tec, and it will not void the warranty, but he told me they like using it and feel like performs well on the NPT stonescapes product. I will talk to him about the bicarb start up to see if that is a possibility.

Thanks all for the input

Alright @onBalance I will be doing a bicarb start up. The plaster guy has heard of the process but has never performed one. Surprisingly he is willing to stand by his warranty and wants to be a part of the process. I have my drum all set up and will stop by costco for some baking soda tonight so that I am all ready for the fill on saturday.

I read through the Bicarb start up thead and here is what I came up with.

- My tap water numbers -
CH 250
TA 110
PH 7.8

450 - (250+110) = 90ppm (I used the 450 number as the info started with 500 and then suggested that 400 could be enough. I figured to shoot for the middle since my tap water is already pretty good.

Using pool math, I ended up with 22 lbs of baking soda needed to raise 16500 gallons of water 90ppm. All sounding good so far?

My ph isn't too bad but I know it will be rising so I will have plenty of acid on hand, as well as triclor and liquid chlorine for the first 30 days. Any other chemicals you can foresee me needing based on my tap water numbers and the amount of baking soda that is needed?

Mike

Great news that the plaster contractor is willing and to participate.
The numbers look good, but be careful to calculate the gallons of pool as accurately as possible. It is often over-estimated. Be sure to brush often, as that is always beneficial.
The acid demand test kit should help you add the correct amount of acid occasionally.

Today, after a few delays we got our Stonescapes Carribean Blue mini pebble. Thanks for all the help along the way and the great info from @onBalance for what to look out for during the process. Bicarb start up tomorrow after the acid wash. I was happy with the install, spent some time tarping to provide shade as it was crazy hot out here today. Probably 110 during the install. Had large fans with water misting running to help keep the pool and guys cooler and add a bit of moisture to the air.

Still have landscaping to do but it will be easier when you can hop in the pool to cool off for a bit.

IMG_1545.jpgIMG_1092.jpg

Reactions: jtburf

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.