Let TA rise naturally?

GMTK

Bronze Supporter
Jul 18, 2019
San Antonio
Was out of town for a week, Ph was high and wife misunderstood me and put in too much muratic acid in the pool. (and this was COMPLETELY my fault, not in any way shape or form my wife's fault, no way).

Sunday:
FC 4.2
TA 40
CH 420
PH 7.2
CYA 45

Monday
FC 3.0
TA 40
CH 400
PH 7.2
CYA 45

Can I just let the TA rise naturally or do I need to add baking soda? App says to add baking soda but I didn't know, with the weather warming up, if I can just let it rise on it's own.

G,

TA usually increases because of your fill water. I'd let it ride for now and see if it comes up on its own.

That said your FC is too low. With a CYA of 40 your target is about 7ppm, or so. The idea is to keep your FC at your target level or higher, and not somewhere between your target and the minimum.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: Mdragger88
(and this was COMPLETELY my fault, not in any way shape or form my wife's fault, no way).
:laughblue:

You wanna be happy, or right ? There are 2 entirely different outcomes here.
Switch to 10ml samples and each drop is 1/2 FC instead of 1/5. The point whatevs is useless. I wanna see the 7 or the 8 when your minimum is 4 with a CYA of 50 (don't forget to round up that 45).

Whether the FC is 7.2, or 7.5 is meaningless. 7 is great. 8 is greater. 9????? Oh my. 9 is my jam.

Reactions: Mdragger88 and KJB1
In the past couple of years, based on a recommendation from this site, I’ve started maintaining TA in the 50-60 range to help control pH rise. It has worked surprisingly well. If you choose to do the same, you may benefit from your mistake. ;)

Good call on going to the 10mL sample. (I got 4.2 just based on the calculator. (21 drops x .2))
For example, at my house, i'd be upset it's a 4.

A 4.2 or 4.8 does zero to make me happy about it. Might as well just call it 4.5 with the smaller sample and save reagents.

Pat the test kit on his little head and thank him. Good boy. No time to talk, we need FC and STAT.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.