May 1, 2020
United Kingdom
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
My TA is up at 150/160 level.
Is it more or less bad to leave it or bring It down with sodium bisulphate?

I’m a bit apprehensive to get hydrochloric acid as I’m a bit worried about storing it (young kids around) and using it is a bit daunting!

Sulfates can build up in the water and damage the heater. Muriatic acid (hydrochloric acid) really is the best thing to use.

That said, you don't need to tweak your TA, especially in a vinyl pool. Just leave it where it is. Your pH will rise naturally if you're chlorinating with liquid chlorine (since liquid chlorine is pH neutral and natural CO2 offgassing will rasie the pH), and when it goes up to 8.0, you can put in a little acid to bring it down to 7.6 or so. TA will fall a little when you do, and over time the acid additions will become less frequent.

How are you chlorinating?

Reactions: UKjames
Yours is a smallish pool where draining is not a huge expensive undertaking as I seem to recall. So use the dry acid if you feel you must.

It'll probably help as things pick up here if you fill out your signature telling us what size pool, what material, what type of filter, etc.

Hopefully my signature should now work.

Just a note that you have at least four threads active and there are interactions in the causes and solutions between then. Some of the advice may conflict. It is much better to keep all your problems in one thread to maintain a complete picture and consistent advice.

Reactions: UKjames
Just a note that you have at least four threads active and there are interactions in the causes and solutions between then. Some of the advice may conflict. It is much better to keep all your problems in one thread to maintain a complete picture and consistent advice.
Sorry about this. I had tried to have a thread title for each problem as I thought that might be better. I’ll bring them all together into one thread “problems in the UK”.
Thanks all for your help - sorry to cause confusion for everyone.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.