Leslie's "Perfect Weekly" and Jacks Magic Metal Sequestering Agent

Since your pool is new, I want to remind you that *all* new plaster causes pH rises and the plaster cures. You'll want to get a good grip on how to add muriatic acid as you'll be doing it a lot. Do NOT use dry acid- its not good for plaster.

Switch to liquid chlorine and turn that puck thing off and remove the pucks. You've maxed out your limit as your CYA attests. Save the pucks for use during vacations and such, assuming your CYA isn't already too high.

No need to test CYA daily. If you stop the pucks, you've stop the CYA build up.

Have you considered a liquid chlorine injector system or salt water chlorinator??

Maddie :flower:

Since your pool is new, I want to remind you that *all* new plaster causes pH rises and the plaster cures. You'll want to get a good grip on how to add muriatic acid as you'll be doing it a lot. Do NOT use dry acid- its not good for plaster.

Switch to liquid chlorine and turn that puck thing off and remove the pucks. You've maxed out your limit as your CYA attests. Save the pucks for use during vacations and such, assuming your CYA isn't already too high.

No need to test CYA daily. If you stop the pucks, you've stop the CYA build up.

Have you considered a liquid chlorine injector system or salt water chlorinator??

Thank you for the facts on new plaster and higher PH....that is exactly what I"ve been seeing. I have plenty of muratic acid and have been using it to lower and has been working. My acid is liquid acid....the 31.45% acid.
My pool is just one week old ....wish I would've found this site few weeks ago. I'm leaving for vacation in a few day so I don't have time to try and switch to liquid chlorine before vacation.

I'm for sure not converting to a salt water system but am willing to try the liquid chlorine....it makes sense...get the chlorine you need without the cya.

Thanks for the advice...going to try the liquid chlorine when I get back from vacation.

Hi Jnet... I just don't know enough about it...and I don't have time before vacation to switch to a different method...all i've heard about salt water pools is that they corrode anything in your backyard that has metal in it....don't know how true that is though. I think I'm going to try the liquid chlorine method first.

How much does SWG cost?

Is a total revamp of my pumps and filter?

Thank you

The corrosion thing is pool builder nonsense. Many if not most people here use SWGs. After chlorine, maintaining pH is probably the most important aspect of keeping your pool in good condition. Generally an SWG is an easy retrofit. If you're at all handy, you can do it yourself. Search the SWG forum here for info.

All I know is I've gone to Europe for 17 days leaving the pool running with the SWG going and come home to pristine clear water. Never noticed undue wear and tear on furniture of anything that wasn't happening before getting a pool.<shrug>

All I know is I've gone to Europe for 17 days leaving the pool running with the SWG going and come home to pristine clear water. Never noticed undue wear and tear on furniture of anything that wasn't happening before getting a pool.<shrug>

That's awesome Maddie! the SWG is not out of the question...just can't do it right now....but glad to here you don't have any issues :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.