LED Lighting

Mar 27, 2013
Dallas, TX
Hey y'all. I've got two Jandy LED lights in my main pool (and one in my attached hot tub for three total). This past weekend I noticed that none of it was working. Figured out that my main pool ones were tripping the GFCI. All three lights are on the same GFCI, and as long as I don't turn on my pool ones it's all good (i.e. I can turn the hot tub one on/off w/o issue). I checked the wiring in the junction boxes nearest the pool, and a few of the wires were pretty corroded and looks like there was some arcing going on under the wire nuts. I'm guessing water is getting in that box somehow, and I'm betting that it fried the boards on the LED lights. I'm also guessing the hot tub light is run to another junction box somewhere else since it works fine. I want to pull the lights out of the pool to check them out, but I've never done that before. Do I need to drain the pool, or is there always water in the light "cavity" in the pool wall? How big of a pain is it to change out the lights if that's what needs to happen? Is it something a moderately intelligent person like myself can do, or do I need to pay a pool company?

Thanks in advance for you help!

Much of what you ask depends on the type of light. The smaller LEDs have no niche behind them, so yes, the water level needs to come down, or else once you pull the cover cap and unscrew the light itself to break the seal, water will get in the conduit. That's different than a halogen light that gets hot and is designed to be full of water in the niche to keep cool. Plus water in the conduit goes back to the equipment pad which is why there are code requirements for the box at the pad to be x-amount distance high (above the waterline). I've watched tons of videos on LED replacements, but not yet had to do mine (knock knock). At times, I question whether I'm moderately intelligent, so if you are, I'm sure you can do it. :) But you might post a pic or two of the lights and perhaps these junction boxes you are referring to and their location. I would think those should be dry, so I'm curious about those and the corrosion you are seeing. The only other "unknown" would be if you had to pull the wires to replace a light. Some wire pulls can be a real pain. Length of conduit, bends, debrs, etc. But post back with more info and fellow members will do their best to help.

I'll snap some pics in a bit. They are the bigger lights though for sure. I have a smaller one in the hot tub.

The junction box is almost certainly wet due to it not being sealed from the elements (heavy rain getting in, condensation pooling, etc.). Once I get this fixed, I'm either going to replace those boxes entirely or seal it up with some silicone.

Reactions: Texas Splash
Those are easy to deal with. Just cut the power to it and remove the screw at the top. It will then come out and should have enough wire to put on the side of the pool to open it up. When you replace the bulb buy a new gasket as those are a main point of failure and they are pretty cheap. I ended up battling an old fixture that would leak no matter what and had to but a new fixture and pull the wire. Check to see if water is getting in the fixture first and replace with a new bulb and gasket.

Those are easy to deal with. Just cut the power to it and remove the screw at the top. It will then come out and should have enough wire to put on the side of the pool to open it up. When you replace the bulb buy a new gasket as those are a main point of failure and they are pretty cheap. I ended up battling an old fixture that would leak no matter what and had to but a new fixture and pull the wire. Check to see if water is getting in the fixture first and replace with a new bulb and gasket.

I know that's how you do it w/o halogen bulbs, but is it the same with the Jandy LEDs? I assume I don't have to drain the pool either?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.