Leaving vacuum in pool all of the time.

Lawtyger

Mar 11, 2016
Tampa, Florida
We have a Hayward Aquanaut vacuum and I was wondering if it is ok to leave it in the pool for several months. Maybe a dumb question.

Since our pool was built in March 2016, I only put the vacuum in on days when I wanted to vacuum the pool automatically. However, this winter when we are not using the pool it just dawn on me that it would be a lot easier to leave the vacuum in all the time and just change the valves when I wanted the vacuum to clean.

Just making sure there were any long-term negative is on the equipment if I did that.

037b783d7346faa3958487cde46a9330.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Depending on how strictly you maintain your chemistry it can have negative effects on the plastic of the vacuum itself, bleaching it out (at best), or making it very brittle at worst.

Seems to me that the amount of wear and tear on your pool surfaces (if you forget to swing valves back and it went constantly for several days) as well as the vacuum itself (there's moving parts and such) would outweigh any time saved by simply going out and putting it in when necessary, and then removing it afterwards.

The temptation to simply ignore the pool for extended periods is less that way as well. ;)

My old Hayward Navigators (suction side cleaners) stay in both my pools year round. In one pool that is over 12 years and the other is close to 7. I bought both in used condition off of Craigslist. I dont even take them out to swim unless I have guests joining me.

Many leave them all the time, I am one of those but ours is on a booster pump and a timer no valves to adjust when we want it to run. I have not seen any evidence that would convince me one method is better than another in a reasonably maintained pool. Lets say for the sake of argument leaving it in reduces the useful life by 2 years, you expected it to last 8 years but only got 6 all numbers I consider extremely conservative. At an average cost of $400 you would have spent an extra $100 on early replacement or about $17 a year. So is it wort $17 a year to not have to go out in winter weather to have to play in the water.

No matter what method you choose there are some parts that will wear out from time to time but are not terribly difficult to replace.

I leave my cleaner in the pool 24/7.
Mine last about 3 years. I don't know if that is strictly due to leaving it in the water or if its due to the cheap way these cleaners are built.
The plastic (housing) doesn't seem to be deteriorating, but little things break like gears and such (maybe that is the plastic deteriorating).

I still have the original The Pool Cleaner and would leave it in the pool 24/7 during the winter months. I did this for 5 years and the cleaner is still in great shape. The one thing I did notice is that the tires would feel a bit gummy and would need replacing after 3 years.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.