Leaving the pool unattended for 7-10 day intervals

Malico

Bronze Supporter
May 16, 2018
Macomb Twp, MI
Hey all,

In all of the fun of COVID, we decided to buy a lake house on Lake Huron late last year as a family getaway as we won't be doing vacations for the foreseeable future. Now that we plan to spend a lot of our summer there, pool care while we are gone is a bit of a concern. We will most likely be away in 7-10 day stints and I would like the pool to be usable when we come back home, minus a quick cleaning.

What are some of the best practices when it comes to this when using the TFP system? Solar cover on or off? Since I have the Hayward Sense & Dispense system, I was debating on (gasp!) using the ORP sensor as I have only been using it for pH control.

Curious of everyone's thoughts.

Thanks!

In your climate, the solar cover could remain on. That will decrease FC loss. As long as wind cannot blow the cover off.

I would not change to ORP control. It does not work at higher CYA levels and/or with a SWCG. Just set the SWCG to generate the amount of FC you normally need. With the cover on continuously, the FC may be 'high' when you return, but so be it.

With an SWCG, being gone shouldn‘t be a big deal chemically. Be sure the water level is high enough to handle evaporation. When we are gone I have the neighbor check the skimmer after high winds or storms and the water level weekly.

Thanks for the quick reply! That is what happened last year when we were going up at the end of the summer, came back to very high FC.

Is there any long term damage that can happen to the pool equipment or liner with the FC shooting up that high?

What was the CYA? As long as you stay below SLAM level FC, it creates no real issues.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.