”leave” me alone

Aug 19, 2018
Deer Park/NY
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi. I have a lot of trees surrounding my property and recently I noticed that they have these spots on them and almost appear to be dead already so I googled it and learned that some trees end up getting fungus on their leaves. Have you ever heard of this? So my question is do you think that these fungi leaves are going to be bad for my pool? The leaves tend to fall to the bottom of the pool pretty quickly so I’m worried that the fungus from them can transfer to my pool...think that’s possible? Also, the vinyl pool liner has several dark rust looking stains on it (we just purchased this house)...do you think that those can be coming from the leaves sitting on the liner? Also, does anyone know of any great floating skimmers that i can purchase to catch these leaves before they sink to the bottom? Thank you!!

If you can post a picture that would help. I doubt the fungus would cause problems in your pool. It probably would not survive in pool water. Leaves that sit on a liner or plaster pool can leave tannin stains, but they will lift with chlorine and time. Since this is a new to you pool, do you know what products were used in it before you bought the house?

If you are sure leaves are bypassing the skimmer and then sinking, you can either get a pool cleaner and run it once a day, or you can get a Poolskim that attaches to your return. They work pretty well. https://www.amazon.com/PoolSkim-Pool-Skimmer-Cleaner/dp/B002WKOEGM

Fungus on the leafs will be dealt with by your chlorine.

Tanin in the leafs will leave brown stains in the pool if left on the flor for too long. Chlorine will usually get tanin stains out.

You need to get leafs that fall to the bottom with a pool cleaner or by hand with a pool leaf rake net like Amazon.com : U.S. Pool Supply Professional Heavy Duty Pool Leaf Rake with Deep Net Bag - Fits Standard Swimming Pool Poles : Garden Outdoor

I close my pool before the leafs start dropping in md-October.

I tried to post a picture yesterday from my phone but couldn't for some reason. i will try to email it to myself and then upload from my PC. have you every heard of vitamin C lifting stains in vinyl pool liners? i read about it online and it def lightened the stains but i will need to do it again at least once more to get them even lighter. i'm wondering if those stains that i just lightened are from leaves or are from something else. i do not know what products were used in the pool before we bought the home but i do know that it wasn't opened for at least a year and it was like a swamp when we took the cover off...took us about a month to get it clear!! now it's super clear but there are these stains on the liner that i'm wondering if they come from the leaves. and the pool store says my phosphates are very high...i've done phosphate removers twice, the first time it did nothing and the second time i haven't been back to test the water again. should i worry about the phosphate level? it's probably always going to be high due to all these leaves i'm getting in my pool right?

- - - Updated - - -

i do have a robotic pool cleaner and a leaf rake but it's so annoying to have to do it everyday...the deep end is 8' so it's tough to rake the leaves off the bottom so i was hoping to find a floating skimmer that would maybe catch the leaves before they hit the bottom. every hear of this one? https://www.skim-a-round.com/ i wonder if it works good

LEAF.jpgDARK STAINS.jpgCLEANED STAINS.jpg
OK. here is the picture of the leaf. pretty sure it's maple. also, here's a picture of the dark stains before and after i cleaned them with vitamin c tablets. i was quite impressed that the stains lightened that much!! :kim:

now that i think about it i don't think the stains come from the leaves because several of them are in sloped areas of the pool where leaves don't really tend to settle. any thoughts as to where they came from? we also have one pretty good sized bleach like stain that we may have caused by putting in so much granular shock...there's nothing that can be done about that right? hey, also i was told that since the pool is so old (built in '79) that the walls are most likely wood and that we can't drain it because it could collapse but there has to be a way to replace the liner when necessary right?

- - - Updated - - -

Pool School - Metals in the Water and Metal Stains

Forget about phosphate levels. It is a money maker for pool stores. Maintain proper FC levels and phosphates are not a problem.

thanks! i should have known that. my husband said the same thing but i guess i'm a sucker when it comes to keeping my pool clear lol

If vitamin c lightens the stain, the stain is from some type of metal in your water. It's probably iron, or copper. Those are the two most common metal stains found in pools. You can test it by putting some vitamin c tablets in a sock and holding it down on the stain for a few minutes. If the stain clears or lightens, it's more than likely iron.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That looks like tar spot fungus.

It really does nothing to the tree, except make the effected leaves drop earlier. It is not going to grow in your pool water, it grows on maple trees.

In fact, your pool may be helping your maples. You really cannot spray to get rid of it, as you have to cover the entire tree, so unless you tree is small, no dice.

The best way to control it is to pick up the leaves and get rid of them on a regular basis. It stops the spores from spreading. You pool doing that for you to the leaves that fall in it. The CL is killing the fungus, and the pool is collecting the leaves.

-dave

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.