Learning How to Swim

Oldest started taking lessons at 3... summer she was 4 we signed her up for all three sessions of lessons... by the end of the 6 weeks, she was doing freestyle, backstroke, breast, and butterfly... Became a year round competitive swimmer at age 6.

Youngest swam by age 2... when we wanted her to learn to swim on top of the water, the swim coach had to attach a pull buoy to the back of her swimsuit to keep her on top of the water because she loved swimming underwater like a seal. She was into competitive diving for awhile.

Had to teach them early... we put in an inground pool at that house when the oldest was 15 months old.

My son will be 2 at the end of this month, and he's a fish! Swims on his own! We did ISR these last two summers, and he's now off on his own! Jumps off the diving board and all. I don't even have to get in the pool with him! I'm always there though, of course!

It's all about opportunity, if kids have water to play in, they will get comfortable and pick it up quickly. My grandkids started this year in our pool, both can swim and float on their back. First time of use this year and my 5 year old grandson wouldn't put his face in water, now has no fear of jumping in deep end.

Youngest swam by age 2... when we wanted her to learn to swim on top of the water, the swim coach had to attach a pull buoy to the back of her swimsuit to keep her on top of the water because she loved swimming underwater like a seal. She was into competitive diving for awhile.

This is how my granddaughter is right now. I am in the process of teaching her how to swim with her head OUT of the water and she would rather swim UNDER water! :mrgreen:

Casey both of my granddaughters do the exact same thing and having so much fun. Just two months ago they hated the water and now I can't keep them out :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.