Leaks and test lines.

Jun 15, 2017
Wisconsin
Hello everyone,

I fear tree roots have cracked my water lines. Besides a pressure test, has anyone experimented with running a line/pipe above ground from the pool to the pump? In my eyes, this would be a clear indicator if there is a leak or am i thinking about this all wrong? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

J

Are you suggesting to run a temporary pipe from your pool to your pump to see if the leak goes away? This should work in theory but usually pools have multiple pipes coming from and to the pool. I don't think you could isolate each run of pipe with this method. Your results would simply tell you if one of the pressure lines has a leak or one of the suction lines but not which specific line.

Are you suggesting to run a temporary pipe from your pool to your pump to see if the leak goes away? This should work in theory but usually pools have multiple pipes coming from and to the pool. I don't think you could isolate each run of pipe with this method. Your results would simply tell you if one of the pressure lines has a leak or one of the suction lines but not which specific line.

That's exactly what I am suggesting. I didn't mention this, but I normally run off the (1) skimmer so running this temporary line should definitely isolate the issue. I didn't know if anyone had tried this before or if this was a common practice.

I've seen/heard of it before. Especially for single-suction lines to rule out a bad suction line. Unscrew at the pump and run a temp line back to the pool like a big straw and see if that confirms the underground line to be bad.

By the way ... welcome to TFP! :wave: (Only 5 posts, still kind of new :) )

That's exactly what I am suggesting. I didn't mention this, but I normally run off the (1) skimmer so running this temporary line should definitely isolate the issue. I didn't know if anyone had tried this before or if this was a common practice.

Sounds good then and I also suggest you plug your skimmer hopefully you have a winterizing plug for it.

I've seen/heard of it before. Especially for single-suction lines to rule out a bad suction line. Unscrew at the pump and run a temp line back to the pool like a big straw and see if that confirms the underground line to be bad.

By the way ... welcome to TFP! :wave: (Only 5 posts, still kind of new :) )

hahaha. Thank you! And I will definitely give it a shot since I am running out of ideas. Here is the back story...

Pump seemed to be working well when I opened the pool for summer. I have a little leak somewhere because I can see bubbles inside the pump basket. Nothing major, but I can tell something isn't 100%. However, I bought a creepy crawly to clean the bottom of the pool since I am only running off the skimmer, and when I started to run it suction just stopped. No water was making it to the pump! I removed the creepy crawly because I thought it had to be the problem, but still no water is making it to the pump. I'll try this and let you know what happens.

- - - Updated - - -

Sounds good then and I also suggest you plug your skimmer hopefully you have a winterizing plug for it.

Great suggestion. I'll plug it and let you know what happens.

Odd that this all started happening once you started using the Creepy Crawly. Kind of makes me wonder if it didn't suck-up something and create a clog or something. I only have a suction skimmer and know that it doesn't take much at all for air to get in there with a vacuum. But at some point after removing the vacuum the air should get purged and water should flow again...… unless there's a blockage. Let us know how things turn out.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.