Leaking vinyl in-ground pool

Mjr6550

Jun 17, 2022
Philadelphia, PA
I believe I have had a small leak since I had the liner replaced after the pool season in 2018. When I discussed this with the company that replaced the liner they said it was probably evaporation. Doing the bucket test I think we were loosing about 1/2 inch each day and we usually have the solar cover on the pool.

They then said it was probably the light niche. I inspected the niche and put a rubber plug around the light cord. No change. I then shut off return lines one at a time and when I shut off the pool cleaner line it seemed that the leak stopped.

Fast forward to this year. I opened the pool and the water level was down to about an inch or two below the top of the light. To determine if the leak was at the light I excavated around the back of the light niche. No visible leak at the niche or conduit. I add a couple inches of water and then water starts slowly flowing out of the soil at the side of the excavation at about the same elevation as the bottom of the niche, but no visible leak at the niche. I actually cannot see the very bottom of the niche because it seems like they poured concrete near the bottom. I had the pool company come out and before they came i added at least another foot of water per their request. Since the day I saw water flowing from the soil it has not happened again.

Sorry for the long post. I don't know where the water came from, wht it stopped, or what is leaking.

The pool company suggested hiring a leak detection company. I would rather not spend the money since I suspect that the pool company caused the leak. At this point they are still blaming the light. When they were out they dye tested the housing and looked at the rear of the niche. Any thoughts?

Try squirting some dye or food coloring around the light niche. If there's a leak you should be able to see the dye flow into where it is leaking out of the pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.